Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
1/72 Scale Italeri Models (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: 1/72 Scale Italeri Models
Deak (User)

profile icon User Offline
1/72 Scale Italeri Models 5 Years, 7 Months ago
So I am completely new to WH, my friend just bought a Hordes of Chaos army and wants me to get into WH with him(We already play D&D with some of our friends and we tried to get into Vor a long time ago) I am thinking about going to Bretonnian route but I have two problems.

1) I don't want to invest a bunch of money into a game that will end up dying out like Vor did.

2) I can't really afford to drop $120 right now to buy the Batallion and the Codex.

So what I was thinking of doing is buying the codex and then spending another $25 or so on Italeri 1/72 scale Crusades models. By my guess that would be enough to do the trick for now and then I could add GW models over time when I had the money.

The Italeri models are listed as about 25 mm tall which seems tall enough but does anyone have experiance with these models? Will they be tall enough for now or do I need to just wait and save up more money to be able to get into WH?

Any and all help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:1/72 Scale Italeri Models 5 Years, 7 Months ago
Greetings Sir Deak,

Here is a picture of a Games Workshop Bretonnian Bowman and 3 Zvezda 1/72 French 100 Years War Infantry.

As you can see, the scale difference is very obvious. If I may say so though, for simply playing it's the base sizes that really matter. Many people proxy their unpainted and unassembled models using other models or even just bare slotta-bases, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with using Italieri while you work up towards your eventual GW army. As you can see, 1/72 does adequately fill out a 20mm base after all.

If you live in the USA, I can send you some free 1/72 Zvezda soft plastic models for use as Bretonnians. Italieri is also made of softer plastics. Though some people find that paint and glue don't stick so well to these models, if you are just using them as proxies for awhile, it shouldn't be any big deal.

I hope you will find your friends open to Warhammer, it's a truly great hobby. You can also start gaming at small point values with smaller GW armies. Here is a link to Warbands rules. You can start with as little as 100 pts of troops.

http://216.112.38.25/~marauder/data/files/GameRules/Warbands.pdf

Sweet Saint Repanse smile on you!
Gerard the Easterner
Heraldry designed and donated by Sir Guy des Bontemps, Citadel6.
Also a very big help for army building is eBay - usually most models and books can be acquired for 50% price (or even less) if they are second-hand and for that price they are often in unpainted and even unassembled condition. Especially older edition bowmen are sold dirt-cheap. But sometimes current plastic knight sprues and older plastic knights are sold at very good prices. And one trick is to buy badly painted metal knights - as the bad paint-job usually lowers the final price a lot and can be removed from metal very easily...

And the last thought - no-one can give You guarantees but the Warhammer has lasted for 25 years (and bit more). So I'd say it is rather likely to last some more ....
Last Edit: 2009/03/25 05:48 By Rafael de Bois et Guilbert.
I beg to remain your most humble and obedient servant,

Rafael de Bois et Guilbert

P.S. If You really have nothing better to do, You can check out my humble painting blog: http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=52312&catid=25
Deak (User)

Thank you both for the replys

Grerard, That picture helps me a ton. I was concerned they would be too small to play with but as you said they will get me by for now. Also thanks for the link. We will definitely use these as we get to know our armies and tactics. We are planing a Risk style global domination game but we will need to get the rules and and an idea of how to play our armies down first.

Rafael I have been watching eBay and will definitely be using it. As for the game. I am concerned about my friends saying they are getting into it and then fizzling out so I have no one to play. I am sure the actual game will be around for a long while still. I am sure I could find some people to play in Ann Arbor but I have no clue where to look
Deak,

Welcome to the Round Table and to WHFB.

May I suggest the following article about scale and alternative miniatures to GW ones.
http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=474&Itemid=31

Sir Guy
Sir Gui de Bussi
Le Suzerain des Provences Sousbrienne-Lorental et Sire de Donjon sur Petite Brienne

Servir seulement La Dame du Lac

Deak (User)

Well I picked up some 1/72 scale Teutonic Knights and English Bowman and Foot Soldiers along with some Balsa for Bases and some paints. I will post back with some pictures once I get some finished and I will of course let everyone know how they work in games as well.
Go to top Post Reply