Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Eighth Edition Army List (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Eighth Edition Army List
Raf (User)

The Order of the Tactician in silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Eighth Edition Army List 3 Years, 10 Months ago
Based on what is known of the upcoming rules, I have pieced together an interesting army list. I am confident that this list is quite legal.

Characters:
General 179 Points
Bretonnian Lord
Wyrmlance
Shield
Barded Warhorse
Dragon's Claw

Bob 150 Points
Bretonnian Lord
Barded Warhorse
Lance
Shield
Virtue of Empathy

BSB 74 Points
Paladin (BS
Barded Warhorse

Maeve 144 Points
Damsel
Barded Warhorse
Level 2- Lore of Life
Prayer Icon

Core:
Lords of Westfold 317 Points
12 Knights of the Realm
Full Command
Scarecrow Banner (Causes Fear in Flying Creatures)

Youngbloods 286 Points
12 Knights Errant
Full Command
War Banner

Scions of Westfold 127 Points
6 Knights Errant
Champion, Musician

Dream Riders 127 Points
6 Knights Errant
Champion, Musician

25 Men at Arms 152 Points
Full Command

25 Men at Arms 152 Points
Full Command
Spears

Special:
5 Mounted Yeomen 82 Points
Musician

Rare:
Team Spirit 90 Points
Field Trebuchet

Trenchbucket 90 Points
Field Trebuchet

Characters: 543
Core: 1441
Special: 82
Rare: 180
Total: 2250
Last Edit: 2010/06/06 04:06 By Raf.
Not counting multi-player games...
Eighth Edition Record:
6W-7L-3D in Tournament Play
16W-4L in Singles Play
(Not playing much anymore...)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Eighth Edition Army List 3 Years, 10 Months ago
seems good but where did the scarecrow banner come from?
A great man once said "I LOVE DEFENSE!"
Artinam (Moderator)
The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
According to the rumours there are going to be a bucketload of Common Magic items in the rulebook. I think adding these items iis to early. The rumours are still to vague.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
Raf (User)

Scarecrow banner is one of the (cheap) new banners. I included it as a warning to those who plan to use pegasus knights. There is a banner coming that causes fear in flying creatures, and is dirt cheap. Everyone can have them.

I wanted to post a list showing what an army might look like in Eighth edition. I suspect that purely cavalry armies will disappear.

Tactics:
The damsel gets placed with one block of men at arms, and the empathy lord will probably land with the other. The general will usually go with the big unit of knights errant. The Paldin may go with KotR or a small block of errants, as the plan develops.

The two small units of knights errant are flanking units, and are of sufficient size to remove rank bonuses under the new rules.

The fast cav is simply for march blocking and taking out Masque of Slanesh, war machines, etc.

The two big blocks of knights are a hammer, and should work together against a single target. The bowmen and trebuchet will force an enemy to close by attacking big blocks of infantry. The damsel is there to give the blessing to some peasants, and then cast a few spells. Lore of Life is rumored to be the better choice, and another rumor is that you must select list in the list. I am not sure of these, but took them into account. This leaves two units of knights errant and men at arms to protect flanks, attack flanks, and run off soft units.

One option is to push the men at arms forward and create an anvil, with the knights moving up in support. Another is to swing the knights wide, and circle into the enemy, leaving the men at arms fairly close to the missile units. This will be determined by the terrain and enemy deployment.
Last Edit: 2010/06/06 20:50 By Raf.
Eighth Edition Record:
16W-4L in Singles Play
Valeli (User)
I'm not entirely sure knight heavy lists are necesarily finished. We could still run several small (mid-sized, rather) 7-9 lances with a six man lance or two thrown in. If you have enough lances, there's still a reasonably good chance of hitting the opponents flank, and only needing 6 models to break ranks is a big bonus for us.

I think the min-sized unit will go up from 6 to ~8 or so though. That allows for loosing a knight or two in combat against things w/ higher initiative, and still having enough at the end to keep your second rank (since that's calculated at the end now, right?). I wouldn't count on six man units to break rank. It's easy to have one lost to shooting, or simply to a somewhat lucky elf spear. Then you're stuck in the flank of a unit that's effectively stubborn, and doesn't really care about you being there.

All these units can still work together to frontal charge something. Ranks making people stubborn + is big, but ranks being calculated at the end of combat is big too. Two big lances of 12 running into the front of almost any unit should reduce their ranks by a good deal. Even two lances of 9 w/ some charachter support will be able to think out all but the largest units before the end of the combat phase.

Is 25 still a go-to size for men at arms? I'm not so sure. Your opponents will get even more attacks at them now, and most average units will be at least 25 strong as well. I think a 25 strong M@A unit isn't likely to hold up to much beyond the lightest of flankers. And, honestly, a ton of archers could probably deal with stuff that light as well (with the added bonus of being able to contribute in other ways). 25's still a solid unit size for bate/flee/overrun though. Large enough it probably won't be ignored. If I were going to take "big" units of M@A now though, I'd be tempted to make them really big.
Last Edit: 2010/06/06 21:52 By Valeli.
Raf (User)

Well, this is a first go at it. I suspect 35 men at arms per unit will be better. However, i am not sure where the points will come from. Also, I figure that the BSB will often be tossed into a small unit for flanking.

Well, next week we should know more. Apparently, the US Retail stores will be able to show the store copies once the pre-orders begin.

Edit:
Having read the rulebook, I will make changes to this list. For one, the BSB will get the Virtue of Empathy. Second, I will drop the extra Lord for now. I am thinking another unit of troops will be more valuable. Also, standards for the knights errant may be worth it; standards are only 25VP now.
Last Edit: 2010/06/15 23:48 By Raf. Reason: UPDATE
Eighth Edition Record:
16W-4L in Singles Play
Go to top Post Reply