Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
A.T.T.A.C.K. using support units (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: A.T.T.A.C.K. using support units
Skavenslayer (User)
The Order of the Tactician in gold (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
A.T.T.A.C.K. using support units 4 Years, 10 Months ago
This thread discusses the Content article: A.T.T.A.C.K. using support units

as promised, here's part 4 of the A.T.T.A.C.K. series!

I made some pretty bold statements here and there, but I am willing to defend them...bring it on!

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

Martin
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:A.T.T.A.C.K. using support units 4 Years, 10 Months ago
I'm just impressed... Complete lack of words... Keep it that way!

As for the article. I've been practicing those few tricks presented in the previous article... Now I'm practicing those and I must admit that there are good... I've looked at some things posted here that way.
I have a conclusion about something. The situations presented in here are good examples for present the battle theory as I call it. But for the purposes of a battle, those situations will be extremely rare. I'm curious about the next page (multiple combat) but I think after that you should present a small battle (around 500-1000 pts) and then explain certain situations that occurred there. As the second army use a one suitable for those tactics (i.e. no DoC, VC, TK, WE, and so on). I think it would be best o play a battle that will show certain situations... It will give the beginners a good insight in the art of war. This is the spirit of this community, isn't it? Newbies to be taught by more skilled players.
"The sword of destiny has two blades. The first one is death. The other one... is you"
A. Sapkowski "The Witcher"

8 th ed:
W: 102
D: 82
L: 54

Check out my Iyanden army blog: http://www.thesparkofiyanden.blogspot.com
Skavenslayer (User)
sounds like a great idea!
Battlereports can really make the ideas come to life (or flop on their ***, depending on the execution ) Will work on that.

What you said about it being theory. You're absolutely right.

My intention is to show people how they can get better performance out of their army, and for that you have to know it inside out. That also mean gritty details like arcs of vision and turn sequences.
Every 16 year old that goes to a driving school wants to race a sports car 200 mph down the highway. But to be able to do that, he has to spend time to learn the car and the driving process inside out.
So while most internet discussion focuses on "installing turbochargers" on WH units, I'll just take a step back and talk about using the gears properly.
Is there hope for the same article in pdf form?
I beg to remain your most humble and obedient servant,

Rafael de Bois et Guilbert

P.S. If You really have nothing better to do, You can check out my humble painting blog: http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=52312&catid=25
Salieri (User)
The Order of the Purple Brush in Silver (Click to see more)
I really love to read these articles.
Keep up the good work!
Good work again!
I liked the article but I think that KEs are better for Forcing Pursuit and Diverting, MY don't hold the ground....Zythaar idea is great anyway! You should give it a try if you have time!
A question: How many MY would you put in an army list?
Go on whith it!
Skavenslayer wrote:

So while most Internet discussion focuses on "installing turbochargers" on WH units, I'll just take a step back and talk about using the gears properly.

You have the point

But consider posting a battle report explained as previous article..
"The sword of destiny has two blades. The first one is death. The other one... is you"
A. Sapkowski "The Witcher"

8 th ed:
W: 102
D: 82
L: 54

Check out my Iyanden army blog: http://www.thesparkofiyanden.blogspot.com
Skavenslayer (User)
What, nobody want to argue with me about how a Bretonnian would never flee with big units, or avoid Death Stars?
We're supposed to be point-and-click army players, will nobody keep up our reputation!?!

The Avenger of Quenelles wrote:
Good work again!
I liked the article but I think that KEs are better for Forcing Pursuit and Diverting, MY don't hold the ground....
Glad you like it!
KE have their advantages and their drawbacks. On the one hand, they take less casualties and can often hold when the MY would flee.
On the other hand, Impetuous is a bit of a pain for support units, they cannot rally and move immediately, they cannot slip though gaps. Also, sometimes you WANT a unit to break, and peasants are masters at that!

A question: How many MY would you put in an army list?

Unfortunately, the models are expensive and I only have 5 . So I haven't been able to experiment with more, but 2 should do well, especially if you also have other high-value targets like GK and Pegs. Don't go overboard, they're no Dark Riders so using 4 units is probably ineffective.

@ Zythaar: will do, wanted to use yesterday's game but the combination of a gunline and horrible dice rolls meant that only one unit made it to the enemy (Not much supporting going on then...)

@ RBG: will work on that, been busy so was happy enough to just get the article up in time.
Last Edit: 2009/10/01 09:16 By Skavenslayer.
Artinam (Moderator)
The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)
Skavenslayer,

Another very nice article on Fantasy. Its a 'Charge and Flee tricks for Dummies' article, or just simply beginners.
I really like the way how you formulated it as a conversation between two people. I learned a few things from this.

I always had the impression that the enemy didn't have to allign to the fleeing unit (if the charge would be normal he wouldn't have to wheel in the movement, just moving forwards until he touches the enemy), but seeing the description that the enemy has to move directly towards the fleeer, makes me think otherwise.

Although keep in mind that if your fleeers are caught (especially against cavalry), that the enemy moves his full charge move forwards. So its good to keep that in mind when your positioning your counter chargers so they have line of sight.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
Skavenslayer (User)
Artinam wrote:
I really like the way how you formulated it as a conversation between two people.
It's the first time I've tried writing in this form. I hoped it would make the long text a bit more lively, so I'm glad people like it.
It turns out it also gives me the opportunity to put more emphasis on certain points, making it easier to communicate ideas clearly.

I always had the impression that the enemy didn't have to allign to the fleeing unit (if the charge would be normal he wouldn't have to wheel in the movement, just moving forwards until he touches the enemy), but seeing the description that the enemy has to move directly towards the fleeer, makes me think otherwise.
There has actually been a lot of debate on the net about this issue, but I'm clearly in the camp of centre-to-centre charge moves. It just makes the game more straightforward, and I HATED the flee rules in 6th ed. so I really don't want to bring back confusing and unpredictable pursuit moves.
Furtunately most people see it this way.
LordDuncan (User)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Re:A.T.T.A.C.K. using support units 4 Years, 7 Months ago
I am going to pile on with Rafael about the possibility of putting these articles in a PDF or some other downloadable format. I have made some notes, and my play has improved through these articles, but having a copy with me, in case I forget something, or to just go over prior to a tournament or match would be comforting.

Really great articles. I will admit when I first started with Brets I was a point and click. However, seeing all the options and possibilities of how I can control my opponents moves has been amazing when I can put it into play.

Thanks again for posting these. I hope to be able to try some of the most recent article's information soon. I will try to remember to take notes and write up a battle report for posting.
Skavenslayer (User)
Glad to hear they are helpful for you!

About the PDF, I actually tried once using the trial Adobe Online site I used before, but for some reason it didn't work.
Life's been pretty busy since then, but I'm getting a bit of space now so I'll see if I can try it with another method soon.

Good gaming!
Martin
Openoffice.org (free as both in beer and speech) lets You convert .doc files into .pdf ones with just one button click. Lay it first out as a .doc file (insert diagrams into right places within the text and all that) and then press the "convert to pdf" button. All done
I beg to remain your most humble and obedient servant,

Rafael de Bois et Guilbert

P.S. If You really have nothing better to do, You can check out my humble painting blog: http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=52312&catid=25
SaintofVirtue (User)
The Golden Brush 2011 (Click to see more)The Order of the Tactician in gold (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Not bad SkavenSlayer. I was kind of surprised that you didn't mention what to do with MSU units of KOTR. Flank around and pincer them.

Still not a bad tactica, it's a good reminder that some things never go out of fashion.
Last Edit: 2009/12/30 16:55 By SaintofVirtue.
2nd place in the Ard Boyz finals. With Brets. Who says we aren't competitive!?
I'd post my win/loss record but in the 10 years playing Brets I've lost count of my wins and only have 15 losses.
Skavenslayer (User)
I haven't included MSU yet because of the setup of the articles.

I really wanted to emphasize the use of non-combat units and flee tactics in this one, since many Bret players are not familiar with them.

The next one will be about multiple units, including multiple combat units.
MSU falls a bit between the two and combines tactics from both, so it'll have to wait until I've dealt with the basic concepts.

@ Rafael: I'll give it a go soon.

cheers,
Martin
Go to top Post Reply