Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Brigands - the Bretonnian scout unit[unofficial] (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Brigands - the Bretonnian scout unit[unofficial]
Skavenslayer (User)
The Order of the Tactician in gold (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
Brigands - the Bretonnian scout unit[unofficial] 7 Years, 7 Months ago
This thread discusses the Content article: Brigands - the Bretonnian scout unit

I think this final version is very good, fluffy and balanced.
The only thing I have with it is that their special rule is a bit...bland from a game perspective. I prefer barrels of wine
Last Edit: 2009/09/19 23:36 By tomahawk.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Brigands - the Bretonnian scout unit 7 Years, 7 Months ago
Oh, crap. I double posted this thread.

So anyway - any comments and criticism is most welcome!

About the wine-barrels - that idea is good but should be more appropriate for the special Robin Hood type character(s) that would accompany this unit.
I beg to remain your most humble and obedient servant,

Rafael de Bois et Guilbert

P.S. If You really have nothing better to do, You can check out my humble painting blog: http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=52312&catid=25
Artinam (Moderator)
The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)
Very nice, yes it lacks any spiffy rules, but hey they are Peasants.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
Skavenslayer (User)
Rafael de Bois et Guilbert wrote:
About the wine-barrels - that idea is good but should be more appropriate for the special Robin Hood type character(s) that would accompany this unit.
I was joking a bit about the barrel, I know why you didn't use it.

The blandness thing was serious, though.

If you keep in mind that:
- they already have Ld 7 (with these rules you will alwaysbuy the champ).
- Peasant's duty is shortranged and will not affect scouts that often.
- since they are out front, there's a good chance that the general will be accompanying the knights and be within 12" anyway when knights are within 6".
- KE are popular nowadays, which give no extra Ld.

All in all, the effect of the special rule will be that every couple of games, there is a turn (maybe 2) where they will not be getting ONE extra point of Ld.
It'll be one of those rules people forget all the time because of it's low impact.
I'd say increase it's effect or drop it altogether.
Sorry, I did not quite understood all the criticism...

Blandness - well the idea of this unit was to give us scouts. No more, no less. Normal unit, nothing very good, with just a small perk or two. I gave them the option for the second hand weapon - thus they ad their own "something special" (and perhaps could sometimes even used for hand-to-hand action). The "no peasant duty" just seemed fluffy and right.

But what is the sentence about them not getting ONE extra Ld bonus for a turn (or two)? And the text following? I did not quite get it...

P.S. If You really have nothing better to do, You can check out my humble painting blog: http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=52312&catid=25
Artinam (Moderator)
The old Robin Hood special character was part of a skirmishing and scouting archer unit, the Fryar Tuck character had a barrel of wine which had that effect (more or less) and I guess some people expected this.

For me the rules are good, not every unit has to have a special rule. The character of a unit is what you make of it yourself. My skirmishing archers have been more heroic then Knights in a lot of occasions. While still are basic Men models with a Longbow and Skirmishing.

You can't please everybody
Long Live the Fighters!
Skavenslayer (User)
Rafael de Bois et Guilbert wrote:
Blandness - well the idea of this unit was to give us scouts. No more, no less. Normal unit, nothing very good, with just a small perk or two. I gave them the option for the second hand weapon - thus they ad their own "something special" (and perhaps could sometimes even used for hand-to-hand action). The "no peasant duty" just seemed fluffy and right.

But what is the sentence about them not getting ONE extra Ld bonus for a turn (or two)? And the text following? I did not quite get it...
sorry, I didn't make it clear enough that the second post was a continuation ofthe first.

I didn't say the unit is bland. Like I said in the first post, I like the unit.

What I meant was that the "outlaw" rule, from a gaming perspective, doesn't actually do much compared to the normal rules for peasants.
The points I mentioned were to argue why it will have little in-game effect. The one extra Ld is the difference between having the "outlaw" rule or not when a Ld 7 unit is in range of Ld 8 knights ,I.E. eligible for the peasant duty bonus.
Since too many special rules clutter up the game, I am strongly against rules that don't have a clear game function.

Anyway, just nitpicking here. Must be that barrel of wine we opened earlier
Oh, now I understand

For me the "outlaw" rule seemed right fluff-wise. I did not want them to use knights leadership (as they are not that afraid of them) and it seemed wrong if their death would panic knights. And it is not overly complicated. But I absolutely agree - the less we see unnecessary special rules in the game the better the game is...

Skavenslayer (User)
yes, fluff-wise it seems nice.But as Artinam said, not every unit has to have a special rule.

How about strengthening the rule? make them ineligible for general's Ld as well. Keeps the flavour, and increases the impact of the rule considerably.
Could drop them to 9 points then even.
Artinam (Moderator)
Yeah that could work, working for their own purposes and probably hunted by Knights means they will not like the Guy shouting orders at them.
Long Live the Fighters!
I'll repost the answer to this idea as I gave it already in preliminary topic about this unit's design:

Hmm - I believe the generals Ld bonus will not effect them much one way or another - scouts as they are. I think I keep them simple rulewise and will not add another sub-rule. As You can see they can not wield banner themselves, which also already describes their chaotic nature. Having a Ld boost by seeing that the general is near (and thus meaning they are not in the position on the battlefield to be sacrificed or abandoned) should not be too much of a problem

ManAtArm (User)
profile icon User Offline Finland flag
Re:Brigands - the Bretonnian scout unit[unofficial] 6 Years, 7 Months ago
In comparison of 7th ed rules, when this was witen, to 8h edition(yes I have read both of them)these guys would still be good ones to field, a bit pricey but usefull and strong.

not as fast but definately just as if nt more usefull than mounted yeomen, exept for the fast cavalry part of course, which is better used with Pegasus kights, unless you want to shoot more arrows.

What do you mean by saying that flanking the enemy instead of charging head on, is unchivalrious?
Bretonnian achievements: 16/101 (most of the not so glorious ones)
Artinam (Moderator)
Re:Brigands - the Bretonnian scout unit[unofficial] 6 Years, 7 Months ago
Trying to wake the Dead ? Generally not the best idea to repost such old threads unless you have something significant to add.

If you want to update the rules go right ahead (maybe give some credit to the original creators).
Last Edit: 2010/09/20 13:47 By Artinam.
Long Live the Fighters!
Go to top Post Reply