Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Anniversary Literature Competition 2013 (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Anniversary Literature Competition 2013
Anniversary Literature Competition 2013 2 Years, 7 Months ago
This thread discusses the Content article: Anniversary Literature Competition 2013

Just out of curiosity, who is planning on writing up some short story goodness for this year's Literature Competition? It seems like the number of participants has been declining in recent years. Reading every entry is truly a treat, and I hope we get some old reliable writers and fresh faces submitting stories by December 10.

I'm about a third of the way through the story I want to submit, but hope we get lots of other tales from this! Many Table Members rank among the best fluff/fanfic/original writers I've encountered on the interwebs...hoping you all are as hyped about the competition as I am!!
"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave."

The Hand of Eternal Light, my Army Journal
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Anniversary Literature Competition 2013 2 Years, 7 Months ago
Im not hyped as there hasnt really been that much of a buzz as of yet, I dont mind writing a tale. Is there a word limit?
1,000 word minimum, 3,000 word maximum, as per the instructions. I feel like the Anniversary celebrations are pretty low key this year, and would love to see us put a crazy positive spin on things. This really is a great site, and I'd love to see the old enthusiasm from a couple years past return.

LORD ROTH (User)
The Order of the Silver Lance (Click to see more)The Golden Brush 2013 (Click to see more)The Golden Brush 2011 (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
Ye know I will be there anyway.

Gots to defend me title dontcha know!
Last Edit: 2013/11/27 18:47 By LORD ROTH.
It's doubtful anyone will be able to take the gold from your grasp, Lord Roth! Your originality is always a pleasure for the eye to read. SOOOO ridiculously glad you're offering up another entry this year

Got to love reviving enthusiasm! #cough#midsummerstourney#cough# It's a bit of a suicidal move if Roth is partaking but i'll give it a shot, what is the deadline?
December 10 is the deadline. I'll look into the Midwinter Tourney as well. Got a CRAZY month of December, but I'll make an attempt to fit it in!

Its already begun check out the thread on Last commented on box, december 10th it is then
MajorMcNicol (User)
The Order of the Purple Brush in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Is this really for stories written entirely new since the competition was announced?

About a year ago I posted part of a very rough draft of a story here on the forum, and then in the many months since I have re-written most of it and added a lot more. This competition might be a good incentive to get back to work on it after Novel November finishes - but it's not entirely new. And no one likes cheating!

What do you guys think?
Wargaming Blog: http://andygomez.wordpress.com/

Bretonnian Army Log:
http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=141764&catid=25&limit=15&limitstart=0

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross
As long as you haven't submitted the story to the Literature section here or on another site, you should be fine. If you wrote a story ten years ago but never posted it anywhere, you could use that without any issue. That's what I've gathered from the rules, at least.

The topic is peasant rebellion.. Does that mean the story has to be based in bretonnia or can it be on an errantry war for example?
I think that, if you work the theme in, you get bonus points. You don't NEED to follow it, but it might help. My entry's kinda stretching the theme a bit...less of a rebellion than an oppression by corrupt nobles.

@Major McNicol: As Gastion said, if you haven't submitted your story here or elsewhere you are free to use it, especially if its early forms were simply drafts.

@Regarding the Theme:
Once again as Gastion said, you don't HAVE to follow the theme, but we will certainly look upon your work more favorably if you do so. I can recall a couple of years where it made enough of a difference to change the winner, and I can recall another couple of years where it didn't change the rankings at all, so it's up to all of you really.

@Regarding activity and enthusiasm:
Guilty as charged!
Unfortunately the staff (myself included) has only grown busier over the years (even without including the constant spam bot cleanups), and the constant delay of a new Bretonnian Army Book has also meant a relative decline of the influx of new and active members. But let me assure you that we do consider this year as special as all the others, and I for one always love reading all your submissions.
Survivor from Chateau Montreford

Sorry looking back on my question I could have been clearer,

If a peasent rebellion happans abroad (aka not bretonnia) is it still considered 'theme compliant'? Is does this rebellion need to occur within the knightly borders to claim the possible tie-break?

Ed

[edit]
Also -

In the mark criteria there is a 'theme' section and a 'correctness' sectoin, from their descriptioms on the main article I cannot see the difference between the two. If you could enlighten me that would be great.

Ed
Last Edit: 2013/11/28 23:37 By Edmund Droitcoeur.
In my experience we have shifted to using correctness to stand for proper grammar, spelling and sentence structure as we didn't always have a separate theme section. You just made me realize the current rules description doesn't accurately reflect this, I'll try and get them changed ASAP.
Survivor from Chateau Montreford

Go to top Post Reply