Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Ads to support the costs of running this site (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Ads to support the costs of running this site
Ads to support the costs of running this site 3 Years ago
This thread discusses the Content article: Ads to support the costs of running this site

Let me know if you have any feedback on this change - I'm sure there are plenty of opinions!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
AREA51 (User)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
Re:Ads to support the costs of running this site 3 Years ago
well, I do run adblocker, so I only noticed there were adds when you turned my attention towards it ^^

However, regarding the ads; I do think that hobby-related adds would be much more appreciated than flashy ads that are designed to attract your attention (with flashy colors and graphics that are constantly moving). Also they don't have the same style as the forum, which takes away from the feeling of this site. Hobby-related ads are however somewhat harder to find for this site, I guess, since its international character. But I wouldn't mind that much if a miniature selling site or tournament organizer would have some adds over here (though that site has to be a trusted retailer... ). Though an example of a site where I don't mind the adds is the next dutch site: http://www.gwhobby.net/forum/

hope that helps
AREA51

edit; I just noticed the add between the first and the second post. I would rather have an add at a prominent place (relevant to the hobby), somewhere on top (to the right of the RTOB-graphic) than in between posts
Last Edit: 2013/06/26 21:30 By AREA51.
They're There Their Tire Fire
Where Were We're Wire

HKB probabilities // Bretonnian casting charts
Do what you guys have to do. One of these days, I honestly do intend to donate to help keep the site as spectacular as possible, but there are a couple of life-related things I need to take care of first. I think we'll all have your backs regardless of what happens, unless you have crazy popups that scream loudly when you want to view the gallery, or hidden videos at the bottom of the page that start playing horribly-composed music that you can't find the source of for ten minutes. But you've already debunked both nightmare scenarios !
"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave."

The Hand of Eternal Light, my Army Journal
rrw360 (User)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
I'm with area in saying that it shouldn't be between posts, it really throws things off.

Do what needs to be done to keep the site running! We don't place any blame on you.
"For the Lady, for Glory, For Bretonnia!"

Old bold knight (Moderator)
The Order of the Storytellers in silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
They are quite a jarring jump from the soft beige of RTOB to the harsh white of the ads- is there any way to make them a little less intrusive when reading a thread?

Otherwise I'm totally fine with it if we have to have a sponsored tablecloth on the round table- better than no round table at all!
The price of rank is duty.
Do what you gotta do.

I run add blocker as well. Its not because I never want to see any adds. I just don't want to see adds that are not applicable to me in any way shape or form.

It doesn't matter how many adds I see for Hot Russian women who want me right now, I'm not going to click on it. But if they want to pay the website owners for advertising then take what you can get.

I mean its like watching tampon commercials during a car crash roller derby. Select your target audience.
Sorry, I'm just gripping about advertisers now...
Last Edit: 2013/06/28 22:54 By The_Peacemaker.
Clipity-Clopity, Clipity-Colpity
dugroz (User)
The Order of the Purple Brush in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
I looked at 3-4 forum posts today before I noticed this thread, and only then did I notice, "Oh, hey, there is an advertisement in the left-hand margin."

I have a feeling it's one of those methods where the site admin's don't have the ability to "pick" what the ads are shown, it automatically customizes to "you" (probably based on the history in your web browser.) -- for example, I've seen ads for the new "Monsters University" movie and coconut water for kids. Both make sense, as my wife always looks at blogs for fun ideas for kids.

I say, if it helps keep the site going, it's no big deal.

Makes sense, dugroz. My ads are all for rental cars, hotel deals, home improvement stuff, and high fantasy games. Makes sense as I was recently booking a trip to California and looking into paint for my terrace. The high fantasy stuff is self-explanatory.

Peacemaker, hot Russian women that want you right now, eh?
"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave."

The Hand of Eternal Light, my Army Journal
Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions! The forum ad is now on the very top, displays text and blends in better (hopefully not too much so it still gets attention!). I agree that hobby-related ads would be great and beneficial for all, but I honestly don't know where they get booked / sold. Anyone has some ideas? Right now I'm running Google AdSense, and it tries to show you the most relevant ads automatically (as durgoz suspected), they may or may not relate to the site. I've seen some related topics like online MMORPGs, Magic cards etc. I also blocked the "dating" and "medicine/drugs" topics, we surely don't want that here. Let me know if you run across any "bad" ad!

Just keep in mind: We won't get anything from just displaying the ads, only clicks get monetized in the end (and that directly goes towards the server)! I'm not allowed to encourage you to anything.. just consider adding this site to your ad blocker's white list, mind the (currently three) ad spots, and make use of the links of they interest you
Gastion le vaillant wrote:
Makes sense, dugroz. My ads are all for rental cars, hotel deals, home improvement stuff, and high fantasy games. Makes sense as I was recently booking a trip to California and looking into paint for my terrace. The high fantasy stuff is self-explanatory.

Peacemaker, hot Russian women that want you right now, eh?

Hmmm, well I have a plenty of fish account. And the adds were always "hot Caucasian women, same age as me, want you now!!!". Then I message one black woman on the site and the adds change to "hot black beauties want you now!". Sometimes its Russian, or Ukrainian, or whatever.

I actually like that it customizes adds to your web browser, better chance of getting stuff your interested in.

Guillaume le Courageux, I'll be taking The Round table off my add blocker since you put a filter on the dating adds. Pictures of busy women are just too distracting even if your not looking for it. ...stupid biological programing....

I've been add free for like 2 years now. That includes websites, TV, radio, etc... and I gotta say it was great at first but then you start losing touch. You don't know what the heck is going on in the world! lol.
Last Edit: 2013/07/02 23:09 By The_Peacemaker.
Clipity-Clopity, Clipity-Colpity
Zacharie (User)
profile icon User Offline
I think some form of Round Table tourney would generate ample funds if required, however, with us all living in a virtual world here in the Round Table the logistical complications must be astounding!

Perhaps battles could be done and recorded into a global 'map' - much like the Campaigns run by Games Workshop but 'in house' and set up in a particular way as to prevent or reduce cheating, however being moralistic and upright Bretonnians I am sure we all know how to abide by a code of honour?
Re:Ads to support the costs of running this site 2 Years, 11 Months ago
Well in my opinion if the ads only provide money in accordance with the "clicks" they get, the profit will most likely be minimal... not sure if it's worth it.

The best course of action is to leave them for a month or two and see how much money the site gained. The you can judge whether it is helpful or not.

Cheers, Sieg.
My Art Blog: Valleys of Eternity
Sir Siegfried VII wrote:
Well in my opinion if the ads only provide money in accordance with the "clicks" they get, the profit will most likely be minimal... not sure if it's worth it.

The best course of action is to leave them for a month or two and see how much money the site gained. The you can judge whether it is helpful or not.

Only you - the users - can provide these clicks and thus influence whether it's worth it. And so far it's not looking too bad, since the image ads can be up to 0.5-0.7 EUR per click. My current prediction is that it could indeed be sufficient for an upgraded server together with moderate donations.
Last Edit: 2013/07/15 23:02 By Guillaume le Courageux.
AcasualDream (User)
profile icon User Offline Canada flag
I would hate to see the site go dark. There is so little support for Bret players as it is. I don't mind the ads, and if they require a click every now and then to make it worth while, then no problem.

I would say lets run it as an experiment for a couple months and see if it makes a difference. I am more of a lurker than a poster, but I can click on the odd add
Axis SunSoar (User)
profile icon User Offline Australia flag
For what its worth, i am all for it, this forum is the definitive forum for all things Bretonnia, if you need to put up adds to support it, then go nuts.

I can confidently speak for every knight of the round, when i say, thank you for a site well run and thank you for all the effort i know it must take.
If this is to be our end, i shall have it be such an end, as to be worthy of remembrance.
Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the presence of fear, yet the will to go on.
Revenge is not a valid motive, it is an emotional response, no not vengeance... Punishment!
Go to top Post Reply