Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
The Army of Duke Raoul of Montford (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 1
TOPIC: The Army of Duke Raoul of Montford
Duke Raoul (User)
profile icon User Offline Australia flag
The Army of Duke Raoul of Montford 1 Year, 2 Months ago
Intro
After many years of collecting Bretonnians, and been asked many times to do a dairy I have finally gotten around to gotten a dairy of this army up. I am adding to this army all the time but at this stage the army is quite large so i will post it up in parts. I started playing Bretonnians in the back end of 5th ed with this being my second Bret army.

The Army
I choose to base my army in the realm of Montford. I love the idea of lots of peasants and the old 5th ed metal foot squires are the models that got me into Bretonnians in the first place. I see the Duke and Lords of Montford having huge amounts of peasants at their disposal due to all the fortified cities in the realm. I have chosen a single colour scheme throughout the whole army green, white, black and little bits of red if needed. I am awake that green is the peasants colour but I feel that in Montford this would not be the case.

This is the basis of the army's colour scheme
Last Edit: 2013/05/14 07:07 By Duke Raoul.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Duke Raoul (User)
Re:The Army of Duke Raoul of Montford 1 Year, 2 Months ago
Duke Raoul of Montford
The Duke of my army had to be special I wanted him to look unique, stand out but still look like he would fit the army. This meant I would need to convert him and use GW part to keep scale and the look right.

Archaon makes a great lord but its been done many times and the base ends up too big. So I looked for something different, first tried to convert the Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mountand after alot of filing and green stuff I felt it looked wrong, too static so I scraped it (I will go back to this project at some stage tho, think the "black knight" ).

After a few more ideas I ended up converting the King Louen Leoncouer model (I had another plan for a Hyppogryph) into my Duke. I used the back half of the Hyppogryph and used a realm horse for the front half. Green stuff was used to fill gaps widen the chest of the realm horse and keep the rearing up of steed natural. The duke himself is king louen with a head from the empire knights boxset.

When it came to painting him I decided I wanted to challenge myself by using heraldry that was interesting and detailed enough to show his status within the army. Below is an example of how I paint with the most detailed parts done first painting inside out almost.

And here is the finished result, he gets a lot of attention and really stands out even in the front rank of a unit of knights.

Last Edit: 2013/05/19 08:05 By Duke Raoul.
Legend (User)
The Order of the Purple Brush in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Your Duke model turned out great. That paint job had to have taken you forever, but it sure paid off! What kits did you get the Duke's body and head from?
Larhendiel (User)
The Order of the Purple Brush in gold (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
Beautiful painting, that must have been painstalking freehand!!
Wins-55 Draws-12 Lost-24 Heraldy made by Alleton
Beautiful work! Clean, crisp, meticulous, and VERY detailed !
Last Edit: 2013/05/14 20:46 By Gastion le vaillant.
"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave."

The Hand of Eternal Light, my Army Journal
Duke Raoul (User)
I used king louen for the body and the head is the champion head from the empire knights box set with his head piece filed off, I wanted my duke to have a mature look but not too old to be slaying bloodthirsters.

The free hand isn't as hard as it looks my tips are -

- don't drink caffeine when you are painting, you need a steady hand and it can make you shake, you wouldn't normally notice but fine detail can be inpossiable
- use one shade lighter than you background colour to paint you design first. This is because its easy to fix mistakes and when it's right just paint over the lighter shade with any colour you like.
- set goals I sat down one morning and painted all the freehand in about 2 hours, my goal was just to to finish the outline and walk away but I was so happy with it I just wanted to see the end result.
Last Edit: 2013/05/14 22:36 By Duke Raoul.
Duke Raoul (User)
Lords
The lords really really open up the modeling opportunities due to the mount options. I have converted both a lord on Pegasus and a lord on Hyppogryph.

When the lord on Pegasus a wanted him to look like he was really flying without using the clear plastic stands so I have mounted the Pegasus on to ruins made from the Warhammer castle kit.

Due to the Hyppogryph being a less than optimal choice atm I didn't add one to the army till recently and to be honest I have never used him in a game. I have used the Griffon from the Island of Blood boxset, its one of GW's best models in resent time and I had to use it. As with the Pegasus I made my Hyppogryph mounted on ruins again so it looks his swooping into battle. I used the limited ed BSB as the lord as being left handed suiting the conversion perfectly and the model just isn't seen much.

Garathiel (User)
profile icon User Offline
Hope to se more and more .. Lovemall the models that you are sharing.

#Warhammer, #paintjobs, #news -> https://www.facebook.com/GarathielPaints?fref=ts
Duke Raoul (User)
Damsels
Damsels are are real godsend for us in our army not just on the battlefeild but by giving us something different and interesting to paint. I have painted them all as redheads to help them stand out.

My prophetess work progress, the Peg mount Level 4 with heavens is not bad at all in 8th

Last Edit: 2013/05/19 08:07 By Duke Raoul.
skavenmatt (User)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
I love that lucrezzia belladonna model. I wish I hadn't traded mine away to a dark elf player thinking gw would never drop dogs of war. You paint some amazing cleavage sir, I wish I could paint skin like that.
Those Peg's should behave themselves! The naughty beasts are destroying the historical culture of Bretonnia by flying so low!!! The Historic Building Trust will not be happy with your lord, he may be slapped with a fine!

Beautiful clean paint jobs Raoul. The black lining makes them stand out, and your careful layering/highlighting lets them glow with an inner warmth.

Cheers
Constable B
Bertrand Du Guesclin, Constable Du Gisoreux
Duke Raoul (User)
Men at Arms
I've kept the colours of my peasants really dark and dirty with the occasional green and white throughout the unit.

Biffer (User)
The Order of the Purple Brush in Silver (Click to see more)
Duke Raoul What a great looking army so far Love your bold colourful style very nice and very Bretonnian. Love your ladies with the red hair, my daughter is a rangua so really bias there Great paint job can't wait to see more
Biffer's mad amalgamation of Brets, Beastmen and Wood elves
Regina caeli, laetare, alleluia: Quia quem meruisti portare, alleluia. Resurrexit sicut dixit, alleluia. Ora pro nobis Deum, alleluia.
Gaude et laetare, virgo Maria, alleluia.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia.
I'll echo Biffer...you've got a striking color scheme going for ya, great technique, creative conversions, and some snazzy basing. All in all a great looking army so far! I can't wait to see more from you !!
"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave."

The Hand of Eternal Light, my Army Journal
Saintspirit (User)
profile icon User Offline
All is looking very good. I can't really say that I like the third damsel, but that is more because of the model than its painting... Otherwise it looks really nice.
"None shall pass!"
- Shaabhekh

My Quenelles Army Blog
Go to top Post Reply