Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
The prize after the grail. (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: The prize after the grail.
The prize after the grail. 5 Years, 4 Months ago
This thread discusses the Content article: The prize after the grail.

Really well done! Your tale is briskly paced, original, and filled with little details that really flesh out the setting and characters. I particularly enjoyed the bit about the peasant's arrowhead being used as a lance tip. Though the story lacks traditional "action" (aside from a club getting split in twain), my attention was never drawn elsewhere and I was entertained throughout the read.

As for your prose, it's very functional and descriptive when necessary, but not overly so. For example, you never get carried away with bogging down the story by describing the number of floor boards at the inn. I'll admit there were moments when I felt a sentence or two could have been trimmed or tweaked for a more fluid, poetic presentation, but that's negligible compared to the overall enjoyability of your story (and a matter of my personal taste). This is truly something to be proud of, and an excellent example to prove that waiting 'till the last minute isn't always a bad thing ! Bravo, good Sir! Bravo!
"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave."

The Hand of Eternal Light, my Army Journal
The administrator has disabled public write access.
SaintofVirtue (User)
The Golden Brush 2011 (Click to see more)The Order of the Tactician in gold (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Re:The prize after the grail. 5 Years, 4 Months ago
I confess that I am a little frustrated with it. There were actually three separate stories I tried to tell there. The first is the reflective trip home, the second is the cleansing of the corruption, and the third was his wife's reception.
I honestly could have written a short story about each of those but instead I tried to combine them all into one. Really forced me to cut out a lot of things and then forced a bunch of things together. Also felt like the story was kind of willy nilly with no real defining line behind it. I do like each of the three story plots individually, I'll probably give them justice later.

Still I'm glad you enjoyed it. Proves my college theory too, that I write better when I have no time to analyze it. I always got better grades on the projects I rushed.
It is good to hear comments so that I can write even better next time!
2nd place in the Ard Boyz finals. With Brets. Who says we aren't competitive!?
I'd post my win/loss record but in the 10 years playing Brets I've lost count of my wins and only have 15 losses.
Re:The prize after the grail. 5 Years, 4 Months ago
SoV,
Nice piece of writing.
It suffered a little from the fact that you wrote it in haste.
However, I really enjoyed it.

Sir Guy
Sir Gui de Bussi
Le Suzerain des Provences Sousbrienne-Lorental et Sire de Donjon sur Petite Brienne

Servir seulement La Dame du Lac

rrw360 (User)
Re:The prize after the grail. 4 Years, 7 Months ago
Just read it and loved it! You hit a topic that also goes untouched, what happens to knights who don't become hermits? Through and through, I enjoyed it!

Yes, moderaters, I am posting in an older discussion because I think that this story deserves some compliments.
"For the Lady, for Glory, For Bretonnia!"

SaintofVirtue (User)
The Golden Brush 2011 (Click to see more)The Order of the Tactician in gold (Click to see more)
Re:The prize after the grail. 4 Years, 7 Months ago
Well, I am glad you enjoyed it. I still think it is more than a little rough but in retrospect I do think it is rather a decent story. A rather calm almost victorious one.
2nd place in the Ard Boyz finals. With Brets. Who says we aren't competitive!?
I'd post my win/loss record but in the 10 years playing Brets I've lost count of my wins and only have 15 losses.
Go to top Post Reply