Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Using Men at Arms effectively (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Using Men at Arms effectively
Darthricardo (User)
profile icon User Offline
Re:Using Men at Arms effectively 1 Year, 8 Months ago
Wait, so if I understand correctly, using spears allows them to keep their armour save bonus from the shield, right? That could be pretty useful.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Viscount Wolf (Moderator)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
As a rule i avoid giving them spears. I find that the extra strength point from halberds is more useful than an extra rank of attacks and extra point of armour. Given that against strong opponents you are only going to be getting a 6+ save at best with spears and probably losing the combat anyway, and against weaker opponents you would do better with halberds for the extra damage.

However, that is not to say there is no use for them: a wall of spears, especially in horde, could prove quite useful against certain opponents - i'm thinking along the lines of clanrats but i don't have time to work out the maths at the moment.

Choppy death all the way for me, but i suppose it depends on your tendencies to attack or defend.

Kind Regards

Wolf
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Yes Sir...About your daughter.... (Viscount Wolf's last words to an Imperial Noble before his fighting escape from the town of Wissenburg).

For King & Country....

http://viscountblackwood.blogspot.co.uk/
If they would keep the parry save, it would be a good option to go with spears, but we only get the parry save if we use normal sword and shield.
Viscount Wolf (Moderator)
Which we can't. You have to use a special weapon if you have one so we HAVE to choose between Halberds or Spears!

Regards

Wolf
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Yes Sir...About your daughter.... (Viscount Wolf's last words to an Imperial Noble before his fighting escape from the town of Wissenburg).

For King & Country....

http://viscountblackwood.blogspot.co.uk/
possumman (User)
I use halberds every time. This is a copy/paste of my post from another thread:

I always deploy my 45 MAA in a horde, with halberds, and I use them aggressively. At the end of the day, they're low WS and have crap armour, however you use them. Longevity is not their forte. So, if they can't survive well, their purpose must be to kill things. 30 S4 attacks is not to be sniffed at in combat, and with a large unit you can happily inflict 50 S4 attacks over 2 rounds of combat (just one Bretonnian game turn). I'd happily pay that many points for a 50-strong one-shot-only crossbow unit. And MAA have the added advantage of occasionally fighting to the last man.
That unit of 30 frenzied great weapon wielding troops need cutting down to size? If you would fire 50 crossbows at it, charge your MAA into it.

(Of course, the added side benefit comes against blocks of 100 skaven slaves that are deployed 5 wide. By deployign 10 wide, and equipping halberds, you EASILY win combat with sheer strength and volume of attacks, with the added bonus of actually killing some of the bastards.)
War's not about who is right, it's about who is left.
Go to top Post Reply