Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Frost Grave players? (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Frost Grave players?
De Rochefort (Admin)
The Order of the Silver Lance (Click to see more)The Order of the Purple Brush in gold (Click to see more)The Order of the Campaigners in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Italy flag
Frost Grave players? 11 Months ago
My gaming club has many members in love with this game.
At first I was not very impressed: simple mechanics (good), luck based on the D20 roll spellcast (bad), magic spell special list based (good and bad).
I called it the "Harry Potter game" and never tried.
But they love it, so I will have to play it anyway

If there is any FG players here,
Which magic is the most interesting? Illusionism?
Any advise on list composition?

I'm twisted between three lists:

Bretonnian Damsel.

Wood Elves wizard.

Mouslings warband.

Which would you choose and why?

Marquess Etien De Rochefort
Lord of the Borderlands of Quenelles
Living Saint
Friend of the Faery People
Glorious Savior of the Empire
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Tertius (Moderator)
profile icon User Offline
Re:Frost Grave players? 11 Months ago
My local gaming club has all but dissolved. But I hear only good things about Frostgrave.

De Rochefort wrote:
My gaming club has many members in love with this game.
At first I was not very impressed: simple mechanics (good), luck based on the D20 roll spellcast (bad), magic spell special list based (good and bad).
I called it the "Harry Potter game" and never tried.
But they love it, so I will have to play it anyway

If there is any FG players here,
Which magic is the most interesting? Illusionism?
Any advise on list composition?

I'm twisted between three lists:

Bretonnian Damsel.

Wood Elves wizard.

Mouslings warband.

Which would you choose and why?

In your shoes I would test out the rules with the Damsel and some of your men-at-arms for henchmen. You already have the needed figures painted, yes?

I also like the idea of a female elf wizard, the Mouslings wizard for the apprentice, and other Mouslings for henchmen. Are we talking about the ResperMinis Mouslings?

Pictures of available figures?
Long Lost Wanderer
Tertius (Moderator)
Last Edit: 2016/06/06 07:46 By Tertius. Reason: Tags needed fixing
Long Lost Wanderer
Tertius (Moderator)
I launched the effort to obtain a copy of the Frostgrave rules today. Will report results when my agents check in with me.
Long Lost Wanderer
Wiegraf (User)
profile icon User Offline Canada flag
You can watch my wife and I play our short lived series We just use models from all ranges, but mostly Gamesworkshop from recollection.

I personally feel that the more aggressive spellcasters level up the fastest. They always have a reason to cast spells. Hence, Elementalists tend to level up quickly and end up really deadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYy8tdohXsM&index=5&list=PL9P_t8L3FFApCLhnnx54rmntxxlfVKiv7

In Frostgrave you choose your wizards Main School, but you get a good chunk of spells from Neutral and allied schools as well, making a well rounded wizard. I really like Illusion spells and Soothsayer, personally.

In regards to your warband, I'd say go with the Bretonnian Damsel. Mouslings and Elves don't really have the "Frostgrave" feel in my opinion, though they really don't say what race creatures are in the game for the players. . . I just picture the warbands as human, as that's how the rulebook sets them out. That, and the Frostgrave North Star Miniatures representing the warbands look closest to Bretonnian Peasants or Empire Free Company soldiers. So, Lore wise, the Damsel's warband is going to look closest to what I think a warband would be. And the Damsel can be whatever magic background you choose. Thaumaturge may be the closest to what I see a Damsel doing in Warhammer Fantasy,(that is, buffing and healing the soldiers of Bretonnia) mixed in with some other schools of magic, for kicks!

That's just my look on it, though.
Last Edit: 2016/06/07 01:15 By Wiegraf.
If we're not fighting then we are probably drinking.
Check out my youtube channel and webpage for battle reports!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOKkH_jmQZXrbjNllcvfHQ
www.steepledhatstudios.com
Tertius (Moderator)
Re:Frost Grave players? 9 Months ago
Tertius wrote:
I launched the effort to obtain a copy of the Frostgrave rules today. Will report results when my agents check in with me.

My first set of agents had to be sacked. But the second set succeeded. I now own the book. Next steps for me are to build terrain for the scenarios, build warbands, and maybe write scenarios for the terrain that I already have.
Long Lost Wanderer
Jon Lackpenny (User)
Re:Frost Grave players? 8 Months, 1 Week ago
We have been improvising out way through Frostgrave without making any special scenery. But I already had a good chunk of WFB and/or Mordheim stuff made up.

The Bretonnian damsel, the FG Sigilist model, and even the Warhammer Quest plastic wizards would all work well for a Bret warband. Apprentices will be harder to source than wizards. But there are no mounted rules, an FG isn't picky about base sizes. So there's nothing to say your wizard can't be a damsel on warhorse and your apprentice, a damsel on foot. If you've already got those figures painted.
Go to top Post Reply