Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Tactics vs Vampire Counts (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Tactics specific for a certain foe are discussed here.
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Re:Tactics vs Vampire Counts
Darkos (User)
profile icon User Offline Spain flag
Re:Tactics vs Vampire Counts 7 Years, 11 Months ago
Yes. actually, grail vow makes you inmune to automatic fleeing, but you have to chek for leadership anyway...

"snake eyes" would not work, as you get NO ROLL. the breking is automatic if you loose combat with a fear-causing unit.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Artinam (Moderator)
The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
It's no longer automatic. You can always roll for snake eyes. Being Immune to Psychology basicly makes you take a normal breaktest vs a fear causing enemy.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
Darkos wrote:
Yes. actually, grail vow makes you inmune to automatic fleeing, but you have to chek for leadership anyway...

"snake eyes" would not work, as you get NO ROLL. the breking is automatic if you loose combat with a fear-causing unit.

See pg. 51 of the 7th edition Rulebook for the explanation of taking a rool to see if you can get insane courage off double ones. All and all, an individual lord should not be trying to take on a huge regiment of skeletons by himself in any situation. Just a really really bad idea to get him bogged down in combat like that, even if he is successful to some degree.
"The Red Cross Knight was holding the roof of the main keep alone... And he couldn't be beaten. Not by goblin or troll or giant! Not by the dozens or the hundreds! He lasted for over an hour and I began to believe he'd win all on his own.... until they set the dragon against him."
Artinam (Moderator)
The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
I would definately sacrifice my Lord to take out the General, the entire Army will crumble. And being a Flyer and a Strong Fighter you have a pretty good chance in Killing him. Just make sure there is no Champion in the unit.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
Why no champion? You're allowed to allocate attacks on the general anyway as long as he's in base contact!

-Jean-
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
lord Mortimer (User)
profile icon User Offline New Zealand flag
as otherwise the VC will challenge you with his champion which you will have to accept if you are on a flying mount as you have no rank to flee to.

this is of course based on Artinams description of his lord
" MY Lord, the PEASANTS ARE REVOLTING!"

" yes they are, but dont let that deter you"
Ah this is true, good eye Lord Mortimer!

Hm... would be a pity... but either way you can cut down the fool of a champion and move onto the general next round if you equip your lord for combat in the second round correctly... but I guess this is all besides the point.

Either way I usually take 3 Pegasus knights and fly them in, no lord needed! Don't take a champion (even if they're free) and he can't challenge... and even if you do and he challenges you, you may allocate your attacks on the general with the other two.

But then if the general is a vampire you run into skill, toughness, and armour... so maybe it's best to throw in a hail storm of Pegasus Knights and the Lord... ok now I'm just rambling.

Either way it's a good idea!

-Jean-
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
Darkos (User)
If you get engaged in a challenge with a champion, you can quite well get stuck on it the whole battle. As the mini raising spell they have states that the very first mini being raised in a unit is the Champion!!!

So he can go challenging, dying and raised as many times as the spell is cast. (remember also that necromantic spells can be cast once per magic dice)

For the large unit charging topic, really, don't expect units of less than 20 minis (except for special units, as the standard tactic is spend first two turns of magic increasing their ranks to 20, 30 or even 40 minis. (they also have a magic banner than allows for increased rank bonus)

(i've also get a copy of 7th ed. I've read that a terror causing unit, as hippo, is inmune to fear and terror. So i must have some words with that tricky VC player )
Last Edit: 2009/05/18 09:36 By Darkos.
lord Mortimer (User)
profile icon User Offline New Zealand flag
i was under the impression that we had to take champions we get them for free because we have to take them, as otherwise w would only lose the blessing from fleeing.

secondly yes your lord is immune to fear and terror however he will lose this immunity if his mount dies as he no longer causes terror
" MY Lord, the PEASANTS ARE REVOLTING!"

" yes they are, but dont let that deter you"
There's pretty much only one thing you can do to get rid of a vampire lord in a fully ranked unit. It won't be easy to pull off but if you can do it the vampire will be very limited in his options.
Right, first you need two damsels with two dispel scrolls each. Hide them away somewhere safe if you can. Next you need to get two units of fully ranked knights of the realm with a paladin in each (one BSB and one combat paladin*, arm the combat paladin with something that will continue to increase his stats in a second round of combat, ie. not a lance) and as many combat res increasing doo dahs as you can.
Charge both units simultaneously into the vampire lord's unit... Needless to say this is the tricky part as not only do you have to get the charge with your knights, you also need to find a way to protect their flanks (perhaps mounted yeomen positioned to re-direct charges). Good luck with this step, it really is crucial that you pull it off.
If the vampire or unit champion declares a challenge, accept with your own champions, not the paladins. Direct ALL available attacks against the unit, even grave guard will have a hard time against that. Now in an ideal world, the combat resolution will kill off all the remaining unit, vampire included... but this isn't an ideal world which is why you got the damsels earlier. In the vampire's magic phase he will inevitably do everything he can to repair his unit, don't be afraid to use all 4 dispel scrolls to prevent this from happening.
Now it's that moment in the game that all Knights dread... the second round of combat. Luckily, you should be facing a mere fraction of the lord's bodyguard and you have a vastly superior fixed combat res. Your combat paladin comes into his own here, as it will be him you rely on if you're facing something tough like graveguard. Again, direct all your attacks against whatever's left of the unit. By this point, you don't want there to be any more than five bodyguard after your attacks. Unless you're fighting a truly monstrous combat lord (who should be on a dragon anyway instead of in a unit) you should beat down the remaining bodyguard AND the vampire with your combat res. Huzzah! Croissants for everyone!

I'm aware that this tactic is incredibly difficult to pull off and personally I think there's a better one... ignore the lord's unit and kill everything else. After all, vampires are considered immortal for a reason. Assassination units (lord on hippogriff etc) can potentially work... but a more likely outcome is the vampire lord will whip out his big sack of dirty tricks and obliterate the would be assassin. For this reason it's crucial to whittle down the bodyguard until you know what the vampire is capable of.

*A lord can be used instead of a paladin, but personally speaking I'd want to put my general in a unit of grail knights and go smooshing the rest of the vampire army.
I think I'll go for Killing shot......Hoping he won't go for the lord on dragon....
Darkos (User)
Good luck. Be careful about the Ring of von Carstein, wich allow him to regenrate on 2+ when is last wound is lost.
It was a major defeat...His lord on Dragon was a pain...but I managed to kill those knights with 3 attacks each thanks to my pilgrims
Saint (User)
profile icon User Offline
Re:Tactics vs Vampire Counts 7 Years, 2 Months ago
Hey,

Anyone got any advice on taking out what I think is one of the most annoying units a VC player can field - The Black Knights with a Wight King amongst them.

Against VC, is it worth taking Bowmen/Trebuche to try and take out the bunker unit? or at least take it's numbers down before trying to go in for a charge with your PK?
Moric (User)
profile icon User Offline
Re:Tactics vs Vampire Counts 7 Years ago
After playing several games against a VC player i have these things to add
Combined charges work and work well
Varghulf can be dealt with peasent bowmen with braziers
the thing that troubles me though is the "fear" his entire army causes fear and only our grail knights are immune,Ld 8 most of the time is not enoughand has cost me 2 games so far failing to take those crucial charges due to failure to pass the fear test.
What can we brets do against fear?
i am tired of loosing games due to failed fear tests,its just not fair when you win the tactical part of the game and loose cause of bad dice rolls.

PS. i play mostly in the 1750 pts range
Go to top Post Reply