Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Charge Order VS empire detachments (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Tactics specific for a certain foe are discussed here.
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Charge Order VS empire detachments
Wiegraf (User)
profile icon User Offline Canada flag
Charge Order VS empire detachments 2 Years, 1 Month ago
So my wife's playing brets and I the Empire and we have this scenario.

Her two detachments are on either side of the parent unit. She declares a charge against the detachments. Her Bretknights charge my first detachment , then her grail reliq charges the second. I guess since I held with them my detachments can't counter charge her and stop a charge vs her men at arms....

Anyone whose played against the empire have this scenario and use it to their advantage? Or have we done this wrong? Basically wiping out my detachments caused panic and made a nearby unit of Empire knights run from panic.

Seems like killing detachments is a sure fire way to cause panic amongst Empire Ranks.
If we're not fighting then we are probably drinking.
Check out my youtube channel and webpage for battle reports!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOKkH_jmQZXrbjNllcvfHQ
www.steepledhatstudios.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.
miturian (User)
profile icon User Offline
Re:Charge Order VS empire detachments 2 Years, 1 Month ago
I am completely ignorant of how empire detachments work - care to elaborate?
rrw360 (User)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
You would be correct, as she would declare what order the charges would be done and could lock the detachments before they could assist parent unit. Though (if you don't mind typing it) how does counter charge work as written in the book?
"For the Lady, for Glory, For Bretonnia!"

Wiegraf (User)
profile icon User Offline Canada flag
If a Counter Charge reaction is declared, the Detachment makes an out of sequence move that is resolved as if it had just declared a charge against the charging unit. This move is made after your opponent has moved all of his charging units.

I just figured it out myself . That there's from the army book. I've been playing detachments strangely.

I think ill place my melee detachments at least three inches behind the parENT unit, to prevent fewer successful charges against them.

Well miturian, the empire can field detachments to a parent unit. A parent Empire unit has a min of 10 core or Greatsword soldiers. A detachment is always core and has a min of 5 men. Detachments can never be or join cavalry. They also cannot upgrade to commands.

If a detachment is 3 inches from their parent unit they get all the parent units bonuses. Stubborn, steadfast, etc. They can wander off but its usually not wise since they're smaller units essentially.

detachments are tough to use. All an opponent needs to do is charge them first. Parent units can't counter, and if a detachment unit breaks or is destroyed all nearby units need to panic. Last night my wife's grail reliquae slammed into a detachment of 7 free company core . She also declared charges on the parent unit and another detachment of swordsmen on the other aide. They all got in, so I had no counter charge according to the rules. Despite the parent unit winning against her men at arms and maintaining steadfast, my freecompany were absolutely obliterated by the mad grail reliqUAE's hatred and they broke and fled. The parent unit waa fine since they were in combat but my unit of knights inner circle near the detachment paniced and fled because this weak detachment broke!

So my advice for Bret players: if you can go for the detachments, do it and cause panic amongst the Empire ranks!Detachments are definitely an advanced option that takes a bit of skill for empire players to use. But if used correctly detachments can also be a deadly counter to your ranks as they counter flank charge!
Last Edit: 2015/03/08 18:15 By Wiegraf.
If we're not fighting then we are probably drinking.
Check out my youtube channel and webpage for battle reports!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOKkH_jmQZXrbjNllcvfHQ
www.steepledhatstudios.com
skumbumber (User)
profile icon User Offline Denmark flag
Re:Charge Order VS empire detachments 1 Year, 8 Months ago
Thanks for the details Wiegraf!

I'm going up against an Empire player thuesday, so It's good to know
Go to top Post Reply