Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Tactics vs the Empire (8th Edition) (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Tactics specific for a certain foe are discussed here.
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Tactics vs the Empire (8th Edition)
rrw360 (User)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Re:Tactics vs the Empire (8th Edition) 1 Year, 10 Months ago
Personally, when I play Empire, I think banners of chalons is worth it's weight in gold (which might be really light when you think about it). I found out that riding to death and glory is sometimes the best option. Sometimes, it is your only hope to just go for it, I used a 15 man lance with Lord and prophetess alongside a 8 man grail unit with bsb, First salvo killed 3 KOTR and no grails because of Banner of Defence. I moved forward and throned/regrowthed the knights back and told him that he was going to meet me at the tip of my lance at 18 inches. By the Lady he failed to wound with a single shot turn 2! I proceeded tomake my charges and slaughtered my way down his line and made the Lady proud of my knights.

Also, if he takes knights, make sure you can get the charge on them because with a 1+ armor save, you won't have much luck if you don't. Or do what I do usually and have your lord butcher them with the birthsword of carcassone and laugh as he rolls lots of 1's and 2's.

Against Artillery, Indirect fire Treb's are also really good, but won't hit cannons very often because of the cannon's size. The loophole for indirect fire is that a crewman has to be able to see the enemy, so have a peasent peeking over the hill or terrain piece your hiding behind for normal hitting. It worked for me.
"For the Lady, for Glory, For Bretonnia!"

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Duncoman (User)
profile icon User Online Now United Kingdom flag
Re:Tactics vs the Empire (8th Edition) 1 Year, 9 Months ago
The loophole for indirect fire is that a crewman has to be able to see the enemy, so have a peasent peeking over the hill or terrain piece your hiding behind for normal hitting. It worked for me.

Interesting. The BRB, I thought, made it clear that crewmen on a war machine are there for 'cinematic' purposes and to show how many wounds it has left, as opposed to LOS purposes or measuring distances or anything like that. I must not be reading it hard enough!

The way we've been doing it in my club, particularly with cannons to use your example, is that the template has to touch the war machine itself to cause wounds- crewmen are simply there as wound counters. Hence why I've been having success with gun lines, as often if I fire the treb at something in the middle or just in front of the guns, even with indirect it scatters onto SOMETHING 9 times out of 10.

Like I say, it's something we play across the club as a whole, so it's not just me being deliberately jammy with my trebs...

Anyway, back to Empire, played a 'fighty' Empire army yesterday. Flagellants are annoying, but I find archers enjoy removing them. Greatswords don't like s6 attacks, and Witchhunters can be brutal.
2014 Bretonnian Resolution Completion: 0/9

The Muster of the Marshal (My Army Journal)

*NEW* Mordheim Online Campaign Sign up Today!
rrw360 (User)
The BRB is right about the crew being "cinematic" as you put it. But, with my trebuchet, we weren't sure what part of the machine had to see. So we decided if a crewman can see, he would point in the direction and call coordinates. This is because of where would you measure; from the top cross bar, or where the rock-flinging part of the arm is. Cannons are simply the giant hole in the metal cylinder and bolt throwers are where the arrow (or missile weapons is).

Raf (User)

The Order of the Tactician in silver (Click to see more)
The crossbar near the top of the trebuchet is used for LOS.
Not counting multi-player games...
Eighth Edition Record:
6W-7L-3D in Tournament Play
16W-4L in Singles Play
(Not playing much anymore...)
rrw360 (User)
Ok, I'll make sure to tell the guys that. Time to hide behind hills with only a few mm showing, muhahahahaha!!!

Sir Arvid (User)

profile icon User Offline Sweden flag
Re:Tactics vs the Empire (8th Edition) 1 Year, 7 Months ago
Hi my dad is playing empire and do not play non of these tactics he is playing with a unit of 9 knights (in that unit he is putting his lord) and they are un-brakeble wen they have the lord in the unit and they ignore terain! His lord has plate armor and a barded horse.
He has a monted lvl2 wisard and a bsb
He has great swords and they are stubborn.
And he has a great cannon and a hell blaster! What should i do????????
I have a green knight and a damsell, a bsb, and a lord and a unit of knights of realm, peasent bow men, a trebuchet, a unit of pegasus knights and thats it. Hou shuod i do?
Artinam (Moderator)
The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
Well Charge your Knights into his and make sure your dispell the Warriorpriest Prayer that makes the unit unbreakable . They aren't unbreakable from themselves.

What also helps is shooting or magicing the Knight unit.

If you really want to play with the Green Knight, have him go after the warmachines as he cannot be hurt by them .
Peasantbowmen can shoot the Great Sword or the Warmachines (every 6 to wound is a wound on them). With the Trebuchet you can try and destroy the cannon first, weaken his Knights (S5 hurts!) or flatten his Great Sword (S5 vs T3 is very nice indeed). Your Pegasus Knights can hunt the warmachines or support your Knights in charges.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
Sir Arvid (User)

profile icon User Offline Sweden flag
well then dad is cheatin cus he do not play with war priests next time he wont win! tanx!
Artinam (Moderator)
The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
He can make his unit unbreakable, but this is a spell (Prayer of Sigmar IIRC) if you counterthis spell or dispell it in your turn he shouldn't be unbreakable anymore
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
Elodin (User)
profile icon User Offline
Re:Tactics vs the Empire (8th Edition) 1 Year, 4 Months ago
Artinam wrote:
He can make his unit unbreakable, but this is a spell (Prayer of Sigmar IIRC) if you counterthis spell or dispell it in your turn he shouldn't be unbreakable anymore

I think the spell you're thinking of is Luthor Huss's "Unbending Righteousness" only he can cast it and it makes a unit that he's with Stubborn, not Unbreakable. He also can only be taken on a mount, so you don't need to worry about that with foot troops. (Regular Warrior Priests/Arch Lectors/Volkmar the Grim only get three battle prayers, none of which offer unbreakable or stubborn.
Raf (User)

The Order of the Tactician in silver (Click to see more)
Re:Tactics vs the Empire (8th Edition) 1 Year, 4 Months ago
Lore of Light has a spell called light of battle. Technically, the unit is not unbreakable. Instead, it simply passes every leadership test.
Not counting multi-player games...
Eighth Edition Record:
6W-7L-3D in Tournament Play
16W-4L in Singles Play
(Not playing much anymore...)
Go to top Post Reply