Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Tactics vs Warriors of Chaos (8th Edition) (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Tactics specific for a certain foe are discussed here.
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Tactics vs Warriors of Chaos (8th Edition)
Artinam (Moderator)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
Tactics vs Warriors of Chaos (8th Edition) 1 Year, 4 Months ago
Post in this topic your tactics against the followers of the Chaotic powers.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Amhonor (User)

profile icon User Offline
Re:Tactics vs Warriors of Chaos (8th Edition) 1 Year, 2 Months ago
I have little idea how this this will work in practice, but it seems like a nice tactic. It seems like a great tactic for Chaos warriors to me anyways; Questing Knights. With Str 6 hits every turn I think it will grind up the Chaos armour quiet well, it does not matter if they strike last because Chaos will strke before you anyways. The only problem is that the QK will only have a 4+ save when fighting warriors of chaos but I think its a worthy risk.

Another tactic (this one I've used before) is to take out all the chaos commanders and champions in duels with my Lord (upgraded with the Gromril Great helm, Armour of Agiluf, Mantle of Damsel Elena, the gantlet of the deul, and the Virtue of Purity). This seems to greatly hinder the enemies heros and gives the other knights a greater chance at CR. Why? First of all your putting your enemy's 5 attack, monster-in-close-combat against a rerollable 1+ save (and the 5+ blessing of course), all those attacks are no longer going to butcher your knights. Not to mention that the WS8 of the chaos lord is not useless due to the Ws10 baron, I don't really care about hitting and 3s in this case (its a bonus), its my opponent not hitting me on 3s that I need. The last part of the solution is the Mantle, it stops the Axe of Khorn's from killing the lord outright, and it also protects form hound's with poison auto wounding.

I hope this helps, May the Lady guild us to victory!
Last Edit: 2011/05/30 11:27 By Amhonor.
Raf (User)

The Order of the Tactician in silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Chaos Warrior playerss tend towards having a small elite army in my area. This usually means one unit of chosen, one unit of warriors, and either a unit of chaos knights or marauders for a third unit. They also have 1-2 small units of dogs screening their army. This is usually backed by a chaos sorcerer and BSB. The only time I ever see a chaos lord is when they run him with chaos knights.

I find that sitting back and shooting chaos warriors can work. Keep their units separated, and then hit a single weakened unit with a great deal of force.

I find that the Lore of Heavens is very devastating against Warriors of Chaos. Wind Blast is good for keeping one unit of warriors (or chosen) out of combat for the game. Chaos Warriors do not have great leadership, just above average. Ice Shard Blizzard is great for both helping to win combat, and making warriors break. Curse of the Midnight Wind and Harmonic Convergence are great choices for buffing and de-buffing units just before combat. Comet of Cassandora is also good, and may be the best way to eliminate a hell cannon if there is one. Urannon's thunderbolt is normally not a very good spell, but has long range and can wound high toughness/armor save targets like chaos knights. Chain lightning has similar value, but a shorter range. Note that dropping a comet and then using a wind blast is likely to annoy a unit of chaos warriors moving forward.
Not counting multi-player games...
Eighth Edition Record:
6W-7L-3D in Tournament Play
15W-4L in Singles Play
Juggler434 (User)
The hellcannon is really annoying,and I havn't found a really good way of dealing with it. With wounds being randomized between crew and cannon, even heroic killing blow lords have trouble with this one.

More than any other army, I try to make Chaos warriors come to me. Their units really need to be softened up by shooting and magic before they are engaged.
Frederique (User)
profile icon User Offline Norway flag
You dont randomize wounds in combat against Monsters & Handlers. (?)
I think that only goes for shooting attacks.
The HKB Lord should have no problem popping the Cannon.
2011 Games: (W-D-L)
Single match 18 - 8 - 12
Tournament 16 - 6 - 16
(total: 76)
Juggler434 (User)
The rule in monster and handlers states any unsaved wound. It doesn't specify from shooting or close combat.
Artinam (Moderator)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
It also states that they cannot be attacked in closecombat.
I'm looking into it further. But please, lets stay on topic and talk about tactics. If I find a clear answer I'll post it in the rules section.
Last Edit: 2011/05/31 08:55 By Artinam.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
Redhammer (User)
Re:Tactics vs Warriors of Chaos (8th Edition) 11 Months, 1 Week ago
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone here has had to face the 3+ ward save chosen deathstar. It's a pretty easy combo to pull off now that the wailing standard is around. The most obvious idea seems to be avoid it, but the problem is that this deathstar is obscenely cheap (in relation to what it does) to pull of.

The only thing I can think of is drop rocks and get lucky or try and hold them up with a peasant swarm, but 2 S6 attacks each makes them hard to stop (plus they'll often be joined by a bsb in my experience). They also get stubborn, so I don't see breaking them as being easy.
Bret Record for 8th Ed:
4W/1D/0L

Bretonnian Achievements: 12/101
Raf (User)

Re:Tactics vs Warriors of Chaos (8th Edition) 11 Months, 1 Week ago
Easiest way to handle Chaos Warrior death star is with mounted yeomen. Move them into a position so they are charged. Then flee. Or align the unit so the death star is out os position to overrun anything important. Two or three units of five mounted yeomen cost under 250 points, and should be able to tie the deathstar unit up for the entire game.
Eighth Edition Record:
15W-4L in Singles Play
Havock (User)
Re:Tactics vs Warriors of Chaos (8th Edition) 7 Months, 2 Weeks ago
Bit of necromancy but seeing as this is what the thread is for... Arise.

Above example is a bit misleading because I don't know of any lists where you take that many yeomen.
As someone who plays WoC, I'll throw down my 2600 pts list -it's an all comers- and you tell me how your list handles it.

1x Tzeentch Sorceror lord: Disc, 3+ ward, puppet, 3rd eye and roar
1x BSB, 3+ ward, halberd, usually stream of corruption
2x20 Warriors, Tzeentch, full command (champion not all the time) Rapturous Std/Banner o/t eternal flame
1x30 chosen, halbnerds and shields, tzeentch, usually banner of rage because I don't want to lame my way out of games
2x5 dogs
1x warshrine
1x hellcannon

Incredibly coompact but the two sword & board blocks are very resilient in combat, I've had knight busses bounce off before (S5 leaves me at roughly equal saves as your knights (5+/5++ versus 3+/6+) with better toughness and I hit on threes to your 4's. Oh, and before you go too. And if/when I hold and it comes down to combat turn 2 you can kiss your knights goodbye. The chosen have a good chance of getting something useful, either the extra attack, strength or the extra toughness will do, the former turning them into meatblenders, the latter will simply grind you to dust. If that blocks gets the 3+ ward and stubborn... Good game, you are not getting that unit unless I allow you to. Best thing is a stubborn lord with the locket to hold the unit up; if you kill the champion you have 2 full turns left before you get gutted. Try to sneak some 'unimportant' lore of life spells through to heal him in the meantime to extend this.

Now, not fighting this army brings its own problems: the hellcannon and magic. The hellcannon is relatively easy to dispose of (flying HKB to the fa...mouth?) but the wizard is rather... nimble
Raf (User)

Havock wrote:

Above example is a bit misleading because I don't know of any lists where you take that many yeomen.

I generally take two units of five mounted yeomen in 2500 point games, and up to four units in a 3000 point game. I never play 2600 point games, as it is a rather strange points level.
Eighth Edition Record:
15W-4L in Singles Play
Havock (User)
It's an interim solution, probably taking to 2750/3000 points, but we are working up the meta here, it's just that we prefer a slow growth rather than alienating players who feel they have to invest a million bucksjust to keep up.

And two fast cav units are not going to keep this thing up forever: If you are close enough to impede movement, you are close enough to make fleeing a real risk, otherwise I can simply march the chosen up like a bunch of retards.

Assuming, of course they don't get splattered over the battlefield by a flickering fire or something
Last Edit: 2012/01/07 04:48 By Havock.
Re:Tactics vs Warriors of Chaos (8th Edition) 6 Months, 1 Week ago
In my area we have a list that has been devastating everyone.
H
e runs Throg (sp) king of trolls

3 units of trolls for troops usually 9 strong

Chaos sorcerer on disc with some wargear to make it a 2+ armor save

A unit of chaos knights

A mounted magic user of some sort

And a hellcannon

For some reason this list has been able to stomp everyone that it has faced. Any suggestions for beating this list?
That list has poor leadership and no BSB- it might be tough in combat, but make sure that everyone within 6" of broken/destroyed units is taking panic checks, and familiarise yourself with the stupidity rules.

I would take advantage of flaming- multiple archer units with braziers, have them cause wounds on trolls with flaming to negate regen, then treb the ugly sods.

Have the flaming banner on a large knight unit, containing the general with HKB and the blade of leaping gold (+3 attacks).

Or the classic paladin with Wyrmlance- as long as he does one wound at I5, every other knight at I3 benefits from the negated regen.

That'll wreck the trolls in no time.

For the wizards, go for heavens on a Prophetess. It's lore attribute is an additional d6 S4 hits against anyone who can fly. Take that, disc riders!
Last Edit: 2012/02/14 10:18 By Old bold knight.
The price of rank is duty.
Larhendiel (User)
The Order of the Purple Brush in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Online Now United Kingdom flag
In my area the only chaos player uses massive 50 marauders onit, massive warriors unit, small 5 knights unit, helga and lots of wizards.
I'm going to try to play against him next week....
Last Edit: 2012/02/14 00:38 By Larhendiel.
Wins-47 Draws-8 Lost-18 Heraldy made by Alleton
Go to top Post Reply