Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Tactics vs Orcs and Goblins (8th Edition) (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Tactics specific for a certain foe are discussed here.
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Tactics vs Orcs and Goblins (8th Edition)
Raf (User)

The Order of the Tactician in silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Tactics vs Orcs and Goblins (8th Edition) 1 Year, 2 Months ago
Post here you tactics against the Green Hordes.

-Artinam

The new Orc and Goblins army book is official. I started a new thread, so we can look at tactics and threats concerning the new greenskin hordes.
Last Edit: 2011/04/17 12:02 By Artinam.
Not counting multi-player games...
Eighth Edition Record:
6W-7L-3D in Tournament Play
15W-4L in Singles Play
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Eighth Edition Orcs and Goblins 1 Year, 2 Months ago
Their War spell of doom is gone, so they are generally a bit easy to play against. They have very high strength attacks, making it dangerous for our knights.

Field Trebuchet is a must as always, and good equipped lords can be very good to kill spiders and other big stuff.
read this in latin:
Inter arma silent leges.
Nunc est bibendum!!!
O Fortunatos nimium, sua si bona norint, agricolas!!!
Oderint dum metuant.
Carpe scrotum pro patra!!! Gloria Victis!!!
Ad arma!!!
Morituri te salutant!!!
Cum grand salis!!!
Raf (User)

All orcs get the choppa rule the first round of any combat now. They can use it with ANY weapon. This means orcs get a +1S on the first round of any combat. The rule applies only to orcs, and NOT to goblins, snotlings, etc.

Snotlings can kill knights with shooting attacks. The have a low strength thrown weapon that ignores armor saves. Pump wagons can be really effective against knights.

Spear chukkas are allowed in larger numbers. Up to six can be in a standard sized army. Note, the spear chukka is subject to misfire rolls on the stone thrower table (on natural "ones".

Some of the spells can be very nasty. The signature effects are very annoying, and goblins can drain your dispel pool if they get a spell off.
Eighth Edition Record:
15W-4L in Singles Play
Lioncourt (User)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
Their chariots are going to be a bigger threat than before,
A block of 2 wolf chariots has become very cheap. 9" combo charge (2+2d6 S5 impact hits) is nothing to sneeze at no matter what unit we have on the receiving end. with the pump wagons now being able to shoot and can buy the 'ignore armour' upgrade or speedbonus, they will be another extra threat. I think the main fears for Bretts are depending on the orcs getting the charge off. If you charge them first, you're halfway home. A large lance combo will break the centre of a greenskin army, but there's a problem of getting around their small decoy units first. Not to mention the ever lasting threat of fanatics right down their core.

Doom Divers will be worth their weight in holy grails, we could counter their artillery with our own trebuchet, some archers and cheap machine hunters there will be plenty of targets to take on even if they have no artillery.

I would say Heavens is an excellent lore against them.
Dispel scroll is a must have, some of their spells are very situational (goblin signature spell boosts their unit if they flanked you) and dispelling it on crucial moments can break their whole magic ability.
Magic resistance (remember prohpetess gives 2) is a good defence aswell, especially for knight lances, it stacks with the blessing and the greenskins have many to wound spells: it even works against their magic vortex spell!
Hugo de Payns (User)
The Order of the Purple Brush in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Germany flag
I have played against a pure Goblin army. The magic is really nasty. You will need as much power to dispel as possible. The fanatics are a problem and they have a new ueber-fanatic with 3 wounds. Dont let yourself be charged by the pump wagons. As they are all low on Ini kill them with charges and dont let them strike back.
Hugo de Payns Grandmaster of the holy order of the knights ,of the temple salomon
Artinam (Moderator)
Re:Eighth Edition Orcs and Goblins 1 Year ago
Updated the topic.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
Thundrhammer (User)
profile icon User Offline
Re:Tactics vs Orcs and Goblins (8th Edition) 6 Months, 4 Weeks ago
Playing an orc and goblin player in the semi finals of a 3k tournament I am playing in. This will be the first time I have played against this army. There are so many different unit choices and I have no idea what most of them do. What units do I not want to charge/what units should I stay away from? Is there any magic that might catch me off guard such as allowing a charge in the magic phase? How far do you have to be away from a unit to get the fanatics to come out? How long do they last after you do?
Redduke (User)
Watch once bitten's Battle reports. They give a good idea.

My history showed me the following:
Keep in mind black and savage orc are stronger then they look. And alto it looks like an infantry unit don't forget that the chariots and pump wagons do hurt if they roll into you. (take them out so that if you get stuck in a unit they don't roll into you)
Orc on wyvern gives great leadership (and LD is not the strongest point of an orc army (24 inch).
Orc shamans can cast Foot of gork which can realy hurt as it can hit you multiple times. (I know a guy who got hit 10 times in one magic fase, my own unit of 40 M@a with the blessing on them became 6 strong after 3 times been hit.
Last Edit: 2011/10/17 14:08 By Redduke.

Raf (User)

The most dangerous unit for our Knights is probably the Goblin Doom Diver. A bunch of S5 and no armor save hits really hurts.
Eighth Edition Record:
15W-4L in Singles Play
BlueCheese (User)
profile icon User Offline Australia flag
I find the Night Goblin Fanatic Devestating.

All those Str 6 hits does bad things to a unit of KOR

I try to flush them out with MY
Caelil (User)
Re:Tactics vs Orcs and Goblins (8th Edition) 4 Months ago
Bit of thread-o-mancy but I'm still wondering what our best way it to deal with those Mangler Squigs. (yes MY work wonders, but we can't use them on e.g 2 Manglers and 3 fanatics.

So I'm wondering what other inventive ways people have come up with to remove one of their most effective armor smashing units.
-We're surrounded? Great! now we can charge in any direction-
Redduke (User)
Manglers are 2-3 knights each zo trow a small unit against them they have strength 5 hits so 5+ ward save.

I don't really get to play against O&G often, but I've seen other armies have success by sending a light unit way ahead and and drawing out as many fanatics as he can and just let them wreck the enemy's front lines with their random movement. I figure 2 units of MY with a LOT of luck, will be able to take out both squigs and draw out the fanatics. I reasoned this because it appears to me that they would be likely to leave an opening in the front line for the squig to move through, because nobody would want the squigs to run in to the back of their line and go crazy just from a high random movement roll.

I dont know if you like to run a prophetess, I personally do, and it appears that a prophetess with the lore of heaven, assuming she gets wind blast, could really do some damage do an O&G enemy. you could blow a mangler squig into one of their units, or a fanatic once it's been deployed. I do not think it would cause the massive number attacks that they each inflict, but I'm not sure as those units are... unique. But d6 S3 hits would still likely be sufficient to take out a fanatic, and combining that with a few bowmen shots you could definitely take out a squig.
Caelil (User)
Redduke wrote:
Manglers are 2-3 knights each zo trow a small unit against them they have strength 5 hits so 5+ ward save.

2-3 knights each? Take it you mean point cost? they're around that yes.
As for damage, 3d6 S6 armour piercing hits tends to amount to just over 5 kills for me.
Which puts a rather big dent in the 9 man units I generally run.
(been experimenting a bit with units of 12 and it's not too bad so far)
-We're surrounded? Great! now we can charge in any direction-
Redduke (User)
Yes I ment point wise

and it is 2d6 strengt 6 armour piercing doesn't matter if you move in them or them into you The only difference is that he dies when you move into him.

Go to top Post Reply