Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
The Host of Viscount Wolf (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: The Host of Viscount Wolf
Viscount Wolf (Moderator)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
The Host of Viscount Wolf 2 Years, 1 Month ago
So, time for my new army (which will be my 2nd Bretonnian army!) so i thought it was a good opportunity to write a journal to keep tabs and allow you other wise and noble Lord's (and ladies) chance to praise (or condemn) my actions.

I intend to base the army around brave and plucky Viscount Wolf - a Knight of the Realm whose Errantry years lasted longer than most thanks to the death of his immediate family and the sycophantic nature of Bretonnian nobility. Eventually, after much blood shed, torment and wide ranging travels, he was given title and lands thanks to his deeds. (The incident with the Daughter of a Empire Noble did not help matters!)

Despite his small patch of land (in Carcassone), he is determined to improve both his income, rank and honor and (here comes the link to fight ANY opponent) will muster his forces regularly both for offensive campaigns and defensive purposes.

His early attacks have been successful but small in scale but the recent monetary rewards have allowed him opportunity to fund larger campaigns.

Whether it be defending the shores of Bretonnia from pillaging Norse or Druchii, driving foul Greenskin's back into their mountain lairs or else taking his brave Knights (and Peasants) on a blood soaked campaign through the Badlands in pursuit of a magic item or scrolls of knowledge, Viscount Wolf will stop at nothing to demonstrate the military might of Bretonnia.

What does this mean for me:
Well, no Knights can have anything other than the Knights Vow - as my army grows my brave Viscount may embark on his grail quest (i'm sure he can call at the home of a certain Empire Lady en route) but for now, he is too busy making his mark on society.

Many "Hedge Knights" (those without their own land/estate) flock to his banner, knowing that to help him fortify his lands will likely result in them being rewarded as such. Having suffered from selective promotion himself, Wolf will not treat the Knights under his command unfairly and while this means he will have a slightly higher proportion of KE under his command, it will not be excessive (those having displayed honor being promoted to KOTR). I am aiming for a KOTR to KE ration of roughly 2:3.

With most Bretonnian Knights already being landed however, Wolf understands he will have to use the peasants under his rule to maximum effect. To that end he has put forward local by laws that promote excellence in archery with financial (a bag of turnips!) reward and his Men at Arms are disciplined and determined. In game terms, this means my units of M@A and Bowmen will be given full command units (bowmen will also be given Braziers but not light armor....they are bowmen after all!).

In addition, Mounted Yeoman will be used to represent the troops who patrol his borders regulary. Unlike some Lords who are happy to see a village or two burnt to the ground before they issue a call to arms, Wolf likes to know before he has trespassers. Under orders to harass and fall back, i wont equip them with shields or armor to represent a harassment force.

Finally: having relatively poor lands and with Trebuchet's being rather expensive, he has so far nearly bankrupt his estate fielding one of them with another one currently under construction. This means that he cannot afford to reward any KE who bring him a Hippogrpyh chick (no monster mount)and only a few Knights riding pegasi have joined his cause!

Reclamation of previously abandoned land however has led to the discovery of an ancient Grail Chapel and the piety demonstrated by his (partial) reconstruction of the place of worship has lead to a pair of Grail Damsel's attending his (very small) court. As a thank you for their prowess in battle he has gifted them the finest horses from his stables and swore that no Damsel shall ever have to walk while in his lands (All my ladies will have Barded Warhorses!)

So, that's the rough background for my army and here is what i have so far:

10 "old" knights

29 Knights (current style) - i plan to open one of the boxes of "old" knights and put them together, giving me 2 x 15 man units of Knights (with 1 "old" style hidden in the middle and use the spare "current" style as a Paladin)

40 M@A's (though with a bit of careful conversion i might be able to bulk it out to fifty!)
32 Archers (tempted to go for a 8x4 formation).
2 Peg Knights (3 more will be purchased soon!)
The Green Knight (who needs stripping down, thank god for metal models - he is going to be Viscount Wolf but i am weighing up swapping the armored helm for something else!).
Battle Standard Bearer (who also needs stripping down and a new horse buying off ebay afterwards!)

I am going to get to painting them soon so will be posting pictures (my painting is not great so don't shout at me!)

On a side note, Warhammer is much more than collecting models and winning battles to me, its a "story" so i intend to reward my army after their victories and inflict losses on them after their defeats. This might simply be the case of changing the name of a unit but constant good (or bad) performances will get more significant changes - things like regimental mascots added etc.

I also want to continue with Viscount Wolf's story and after looking at the WFRP stuff in the armory book, i might have a think about cooking a small estate up for him that can be expanded after particularly good victories!

Right, that is all from me for now and hopefully i will be updating it soon!

Wolf
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Yes Sir...About your daughter.... (Viscount Wolf's last words to an Imperial Noble before his fighting escape from the town of Wissenburg).

For King & Country....

http://viscountblackwood.blogspot.co.uk/
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:The Host of Viscount Wolf 2 Years, 1 Month ago
So, my first Knight is painted and ready for the field of battle (apart from his base being finished!).

I'm not an amazing painter but i like to give things a go so be nice to me please!

I present to you, Sir Marcus, born of Bastonne atop his steed: "Majesty" and now part of Viscount Wolf's retinue.

I know the area's on each flank are blank - i intend to add things to these as the regiment gains more honor and kills!

I'm not happy with the shield and am thinking of getting something to stick onto them to make them look better: something like the Templar Crosses from the Empire shields!

That's all for now folks!

Wolf!

Yes Sir...About your daughter.... (Viscount Wolf's last words to an Imperial Noble before his fighting escape from the town of Wissenburg).

For King & Country....

Re:The Host of Viscount Wolf 2 Years ago
Just a quick update on my army - i've now managed to paint 4 Knights! (Whoop!)

My army is going to be composed and played based on a very feudal theme - i.e. a Noble Lord (Paladin) will turn up with the Knights loyal to him or he won't. There will be no taking this Lord or that unit, they come as one or don't come at all!

My first unit is going to be represented by the Paladin - Sir Godwyn, famous for his victory over the Red Wyrm Smargarox, thus taking the Red Serpent as his Coat of Arms, this being reflected on his Knight's shields.

So:

Sir Godwyn
Paladin with Bretonnian Warhorse, Virtue of Audacity, Wyrmlance, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Warhorse

Sir Godwyn's Knights
14 Knights of the Realm with Full Command

When this unit is done (of which i will post pictures), i plan to make a 2nd unit of KOTR's armed with Warhammers (thanks Old Bold Knight!) to represent a unit that has been fighting the undead and swapped their traditional lances for more skeleton smiting weapons.

Kind Regards

Viscount Wolf

(P.S - Godwyn's equipment may change after a few battles, i want to see how things go first).

For King & Country....

Well, you have a very neat and clean style of painting! A very nice start!

However, a bit of constructive criticism is in order IMHO:

- You can still see some moulding lines, particularly on the horse's legs and the lance. These should be sanded down a bit, or scraped off with a scalpel.
- A red dragon on a black shield is a bit iffy, heraldry-wise (a charge or blazon should never be a colour if the shield is also a colour, it ought to be a metal). Also, not a very good contrast. May I draw you attention towards this thread: http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=6&id=31&Itemid=31

Also, I've noticed that you've glued on the ailette backwards. Was this intentional, and if so, may one ask why?

Really good work though, otherwise!
Last Edit: 2012/07/03 21:48 By RollantLiCavaliers1214.
If there's something you're bad at, find out exactly what it is... and then leave it be!

"D'amors et d'armes et de joie
Est ma matiere et de tel gent
Qui son et bon et bel et gent"

(French, 13th century)
Well, sir, I've never been a fan of the 'paint a line of a lighter colour over a darker colour' school of highlighting - but you do it neatly and there is no right way - it's all a matter of personal taste.

Sir Rollant is correct, you did put the Ailette (er, not aileron, that's part of an aeroplane) on upside down, like some sort of 13th century Space Marine...

Those two points excepted though, I likes me the look of your work quite a lot.
Are you looking for friendly wargaming or pen & paper roleplaying on the Isle of Wight? PM me.

I have an army journal.
The Ailette is on upside down (and the moulding lines visible) because these Knights were found in my "Old Big Box of Warhammer" which meant they had been bought from Ebay, put together, sprayed black and then left in a box to bounce around for about 7 years now!

Thus why some have bendy lance syndrome which i am very slowly bending back into place.

I have changed the shields (i will post some pictures soon, providing i can fish out the digital camera my missus had gone on a rampage with).

My next set of Knights are going to be filed down very carefully before being glued together! (I'm not sure if i'm even going to bother putting the Ailette on them, they are going to have cavalry hammers).

Regards

Viscount Wolf

For King & Country....

Updated photo's with new shield design.

(Still might change background).

Viscount Wolf

(P.S - Haven'd had chance to read the Heraldry documents on the site - will try and get it done tonight).

For King & Country....

Sir Jules Estelle wrote:
not aileron, that's part of an aeroplane

GGHHH... Cr***p! Ailette. Thank you, messire Jules. My post has been duly amended.
If there's something you're bad at, find out exactly what it is... and then leave it be!

"D'amors et d'armes et de joie
Est ma matiere et de tel gent
Qui son et bon et bel et gent"

(French, 13th century)
Zirrian (User)
profile icon User Offline Hungary flag
So far, I like the army. The serpents on the shields are especially likey. Keep up good work, sire!
Your worst Knightmare.

"Isn't Blood Keep in Bretonnia?"
"Yeah, and Altdorf is a small village near Gisoreux."
So, i got bored of making regular army lists with a simple points cost! So, i thought, what would be more fun? Well - what about a invoice for a unit of Knights on a campaign.

Sticking with my army theme, Sir Godwyn's unit of 14 KOTR with FC cost 360 points, or as would be in game, 360 ECU's! (For those that don't know, 1 Gold Ecu = 20 Silver Denier = 12 Copper Pennies).

Anyway - here is what i came up with. Please bear in mind its a bit of fun so please don't rip it apart on exact costs etc!

Herein lay an account of the expenses levied by the Knights of Sir Godwyn during their victorious campaign against the marauding greenskins in the Dukedom of Carcassonne.

Food: 67 Ecu, 15 Denier, 10 Pennies
Meals for Fourteen Knights for the Thirty-Six days of the campaign, consisting of:
Eggs (approx. 800) - 4 Ecu
Cheese:
Carcassonne Blue (10lbs) - 2 Ecu
Quenelles Cheddar (20lbs) - 4 Ecu
Artois Brick (5lbs) - 1 Ecu
Pickled Fish (20 Barrels) - 6 Denier
Butter ( 72lbs) - 9 Ecu
Bread (approx. 500 loaves) - 4 Ecu, 1 Denier, 6 Pennies
Meat (approx. 300 sides) - 15 Ecu
Wine:
Carcassonne White (70 Pints) - 5 Ecu
Bordeleaux Merlot (130 Pints) - 8 Ecu
Brionne Viogniet (50 Pints) - 4 Ecu
Couronne Syrah (100 Pints) - 7 Ecu
Beer:
Mousillon Dark (150 Pints) - 7 Denier
Lyonesse Pale Ale (200 Pints) - 1 Ecu
Fruit & Vegetables:
Turnips (72 Sacks) - 12 Denier
Tomato’s (36 Crates) - 1 Ecu, 6 Denier
Parsnips (20 Sacks) - 7 Denier
Peas (5 Sacks) - 4 Denier, 10 Pennies
Mushrooms (7 Sacks) - 9 Denier
Pies (Approx 500) - 8 Denier

Replacement Equipment: 34 Ecu, 12 Denier
Clothes:
Four Pairs of Riding Boots - 12 Ecu
8 Capes (6 Long, 2 Short) - 2 Ecu, 6 Denier
2 Heavy Riding Jackets - 10 Ecu
Containers:
8 x 25 Gallon Casks - 8 Ecu
10 Large Sacks - 2 Ecu, 6 Denier

Consumables (Non-Food): 55 Ecu, 4 Denier
Candles (Approx 1000) - 25 Ecu
Charcoal (72 Sacks) - 8 Ecu
Parchment (504 Sheets) - 25 Ecu, 4 Denier

Hirelings: 147 Ecu, 8 Denier
(Note, Hirelings are expected to pay for all supplies and shelter out of their own salary).
20 Labourers - 18 Ecu
14 Servants - 16 Ecu, 16 Denier
6 Entertainers - 25 Ecu, 12 Denier
(1 Minster, 2 Troubadour, 2 Acrobats, 1 Juggler)
2 Physicians - 40 Ecu
5 Guides - 8 Ecu
1 Banner Seamstress - 4 Ecu
2 Clerics - 10 Ecu
(1 of “The Lady” 1 of “Shallya”)
1 Scribe - 6 Ecu
4 Messengers - 4 Ecu
3 Blacksmiths - 15 Ecu

Items purchased for campaign: 44 Ecu
Banner, with Illustration - 10 Ecu
14 Blankets - 17 Ecu
14 Bars of Soap - 2 Denier
2 Tables, 14 Chairs - 14 Ecu

Items purchased after campaign: 11 Ecu
14 Silk “Honour Ribbons” - 11 Ecu

Total Cost - 359 Ecu, 19 Denier, 10 Pennies

For King & Country....

Re:The Host of Viscount Wolf 1 Year, 1 Month ago
So, after being away for quite a while due to a severe back injury, I have returned to the saddle once more. And I am proud to present my latest on conversion: The Viscount Himself

' border='0' style='max-width:800px; ' />

' border='0' style='max-width:800px; ' />

The wolf is a Space Wolf Thunder Wolf while the shield is a Space Wolf Storm shield.
The book at his back (not obvious in the photo's) is from a Grey Knights kit
The body is our King, as is the left arm. The head, right arm, lance body, fluer de lys on the lance is from a KOTR box, the lance tip is a Dark Elf Cold One Knight lance tip.
The helmet the front paw is stood on is from an Empire Kit! (again, not overly obvious at this stage.)

Due to the free space on the base i'm not sure what i'm going to put there.

Options are:

Dead Orc from the Empire Huntsman kit
OOP Halberdier standard bearer acting as his personnal standard bearer
Damsel on Foot
Wood Elf Wardancer Lord (lady) on foot
KE with his personnel standard
Bret Grail Knight on Foot acting as bodyguard/housecarl
Dark Eldar slave woman he has "rescued"

or just leave it empty. Let me know what you think.

Kindest Regards

Viscount Wolf

Edit: Numerous edits to get photo's working, spelling etc.
Last Edit: 2013/06/05 11:51 By Viscount Wolf.

For King & Country....

Re:The Host of Viscount Wolf 1 Year, 1 Month ago
0_o

OOOh, shiny! I love those wolves, they look great, and it makes a very interesting conversion. Will you give him a pack of dire wolves as minions which follow him around?

The only crit i could think of before you undercoat and get carried away, is that it looks like the fer-de-lese on the lance favours the (stage right) more? Is that so? If not, carry on!!!!!! I want to see him painted!
Bertrand Du Guesclin, Constable Du Gisoreux
Re:The Host of Viscount Wolf 1 Year ago
Indeed - I do have a pack of wolves I am basing up at the moment for him!

I have also sorted the lance issues - it did in favour one side but I needed to get the other bits from storage!

Anyway, here is a quick pic of my new work: the model needs stripping but you get the idea.

Wolf
Last Edit: 2013/07/03 12:52 By Viscount Wolf. Reason: Photo edit

For King & Country....

Re:The Host of Viscount Wolf 11 Months, 3 Weeks ago
With nearly all my time being consumed with my degree work & family life, I haven't done anything other than paint a single Knight recently. I did however manage to snag a few items off eBay to bolster my Prophetess.

Regards

Wolf

For King & Country....

Re:The Host of Viscount Wolf 11 Months, 3 Weeks ago
Where do people think she should hail from:
Bretonnia
Tilea
Albion
Lustria (Amazon - like)
The empire
Somewhere else? (Please clarify)

Wolf

For King & Country....

Go to top Post Reply