Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:KOW Brotherhood Fluff? (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:KOW Brotherhood Fluff?
KOW Brotherhood Fluff? 3 Months, 2 Weeks ago
Hey all! Just wondering if anyone here is migrating to Kings of War. If so, is there any "official" Brotherhood fluff in addition to the scant tidbits of information granted us in "Uncharted Empires?" If not, would anyone be interested in fleshing out some unofficial fluff with me? It's such an incredible opportunity to be part of a new renaissance in miniature gaming. It's almost freeing to be rid of GW, and with KOW and 9th Age, the hobby has never been stronger.
Last Edit: 2016/03/21 02:54 By Gastion le vaillant.
"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave."

The Hand of Eternal Light, my Army Journal
The administrator has disabled public write access.
De Rochefort (Admin)
The Order of the Purple Brush in gold (Click to see more)Le Loup d'Argent - the Silver Wolf (Click to see more)The Order of the Silver Lance (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Italy flag
Re:KOW Brotherhood Fluff? 3 Months, 2 Weeks ago
Gastion le vaillant wrote:
Hey all! Just wondering if anyone here is migrating to Kings of War. If so, is there any "official" Brotherhood fluff in addition to the scant tidbits of information granted us in "Uncharted Empires?" If not, would anyone be interested in fleshing out some unofficial fluff with me? It's such an incredible opportunity to be part of a new renaissance in miniature gaming. It's almost freeing to be rid of GW, and with KOW and 9th Age, the hobby has never been stronger.

I agree that we are in fornt of a period of good opportunities. I personally play much more now that I did in the last four years.

Anyway I love the background of Bretonnia and its miniatures. I like the Brotherhood list, but I use it only to play my Bret army.
I really do not care much about the background of Mantica.
(even if I read it and it has its positive sides...)

Marquess Etien De Rochefort
Lord of the Borderlands of Quenelles
Living Saint
Friend of the Faery People
Glorious Savior of the Empire
Tertius (User)
profile icon User Offline
Testing...

I command...

...an army of deadly archers, resplendent knights, and sturdy men-at-arms. They wander the realms in search of a new home ...

...someplace with a stout castle or a crag to build one on...

...and perhaps overlooking a small harbor with...

...access to the Sea.

______

It is a bit... wordy.

More words would be overkill.
Last Edit: 2016/03/22 05:04 By Tertius. Reason: trying to beat gremlin
Long Lost Wanderer
Baron (User)
Tertius wrote:
[quote]Old bold knight wrote:

...an army of deadly archers, resplendent knights, and sturdy men-at-arms. They wander the realms in search of a new home ...

Indeed, I heard as much with the other piece of lore that they came from a destroyed island kingdom.

Looking forward to see what they come up with.
(Though I'm in the same boat as the good De Rochefort that the old Bretonnia fluff is a precious gem that can't be replaced.)
"Now for wrath, now for ruin, and a red dawn!"
De Rochefort, I agree with your sentiments. Bretonnian fluff is a major aspect of the army's appeal, and I just can't seem to fully invest myself in the background of The Brotherhood. I like the concept that The Brotherhood was once a very Bretonnian-esque kingdom that crumbled in a past cataclysm, and that the remnants essentially built a new society along the borders of the Abyss (Mantica's Realm of Chaos) to defend against the evil spewed forth from its Hellish circles. What's missing, even in the UNCHARTED EMPIRES supplement, is a fully fleshed out version of Brotherhood society. There are hinted concepts, yes, but nothing as detailed as our Army Books.

Tertius, I read your comment in the other thread and appreciate your help! I've had the same thing happen to me on occasion here at the Table.

Baron, yes, The Brotherhood's old kingdom was destroyed and flooded; naught but ruins of the old civilization remain, which is where the many elementals and beasts can be found. My whole quip is that there's really not much "fluff" about The Brotherhood save a two-page spread in UNCHARTED EMPIRES and short descriptions of each unit they field. We have no sense of how their territory is organized, no knowledge of the feudal hierarchy, and little personality beyond "Hey, KNIGHTS and ARCHERS and PEASANTS!!" It would be fun to collaborate with some fellow Bretonnian players and flesh out other aspects of The Brotherhood. Mantic seems very fan-centric, and part of me wonders whether they would even allow players to help shape the fluff of their world.

Tertius (User)

Tertius, I read your comment in the other thread and appreciate your help! I've had the same thing happen to me on occasion here at the Table.

I can be a bit... ...determined... ...with matters like this. I saved off my text. I had to put it in a gmail account. So, I could access it from a laptop. (Originally, I had tried to post from a mobile.) With the larger screen I was able to enter the original text one sentence fragment at a time. Eventually, I found the unspeakable word.

It was like talking to The Nights Who Formerly Said Ni!!

But, now I know the offending word.
Long Lost Wanderer
Baron (User)
@Sir Gastion, world building is a task not for the impatient. The brotherhood is a new faction for KoW and will require time and care from them to make it a enjoyable and immersive lore.

The 9th age is far more in need of our aid, though. They are very much in touch with the fans and want everyone's help in shaping the world of 9th but their are many with opposing ideas on what the kingdom of Equitaine should be.

Ideally it should house multiple ideas for what it represents but it may take our voices to keep it on track of becoming a proper spiritual successor to noble Bretonnia and not magical Game of Throne land where peasants are treated as equals...

That's why I involve myself in the 9th age site.
"Now for wrath, now for ruin, and a red dawn!"
I personally like the Kingdoms of Men list for Kings of War. It's a very flexible list that allows me to field many of my older Bretonnian miniatures, such as my bombard, handgunners and crossbowmen, as well as newer miniatures such as the trebuchet. I usually field the Pegasus Knights as Brotherhood allies, and sometimes even field my old Bretonnian organ gun as a League of Rhordia ally.

It has a focus on infantry without being devoid of cavalry, which I like as I have several large units of men-at-arms and foot knights.

In my fluff, nothing has changed -- the Kingdoms of Men list makes it clear that the world of Mantica is made up of hundreds of human kingdoms and republics, and for me, the Kingdom of Bretonnia is very much a part of Mantica.
Doc Rot (User)
I also love Kingdoms of Men because of the versatility. Plus the League of Rhordia are brilliant. I also love the Brotherhood. I just love the gane full stop.
@Tertius, excellent! Do you mind letting me know the word, so I might avoid using it unless I'm attempting to swindle a shrubbery from an old woman?

@Baron, 9th Age looks pretty wonderful, but I'm just so eager to attempt the KOW rules. They really did create a streamlined, straightforward, infinitely adaptable game, where 9th Age seems exceptionally similar to Warhammer (which is the point, I suppose). I appreciate the basic Brotherhood fluff - there's a great deal of 5th Edition Bretonnia (my preferred interpretation) mixed with a bit of A Song of Ice and Fire's Night's Watch and Dragon Age's Grey Wardens. A merit-based, mythical, chivalric society that CHOOSES to act as the first bastion against the portal to Hell? Count me in. I'm more than willing to do some minor fluff tweaks to fit my models and army's story into such a place.

@Doc Rot, KOM is definitely far more versatile and adaptable, and can be used for a nearly infinite number of different armies. League of Rhordia is fantastic as well, but I love my knights in shining armor

Doc Rot (User)
As a game I can't fault KOW at all. Tactically it is extremely challanging, though it seems simple at first the subtly and nuances really put the game head and shoulders above the rest. It's such a good game with so much diversity across the armies. Without one play style being too overpowered etc. Unlike WHFB EVERYTHING has a use. Every single unit! Again can't praise it highly enough.
Tertius (User)
@Tertius, excellent! Do you mind letting me know the word, so I might avoid using it unless I'm attempting to swindle a shrubbery from an old woman?

As discussed in a nearby thread:
...the word was: << dramatic pause; cue music >>

Outlet.
Last Edit: 2016/03/25 05:45 By Tertius. Reason: Bad, naughty, wicked, wicked Tags
Long Lost Wanderer
Go to top Post Reply