Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:!Question Thread!: The FAQ of the Roundtable: Community Project (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:!Question Thread!: The FAQ of the Roundtable: Community Project
Artinam (Moderator)
The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
!Question Thread!: The FAQ of the Roundtable: Community Project 6 Years, 9 Months ago
Fellow Damsels and Knights,

As can be read from thread we are planning to update our community FAQ for the 8th edition of Warhammer: Fantasy Battles. I will be your discussion leader for this project and bare the 'responsibility' of keeping the discussion civil and clear.
My apologies for the following long post, but it is required to show everyone how everything will work.

To start:
This is a Community Project!, as such it contains our interpretations as rational gamers as such it isUnofficial but provide a strong insight on how it could and perhaps should work! People are free to use this FAQ and its interpretations if they credit the work of the Round Table of Bretonnia Community. We will try to adhere to both the principles of interpretation of 'Rule a written'(RAW) and 'Rule as intended'(RAI).

There are some ground rules, to allow an interesting discussion.

First, I have created two threads. This one is for questions and the other will be for discussing the questions.
Anyone who has a serious question regarding the functioning of Bretonnia in the 8th edition can post it in this Question thread. When posting the question explain why you think there is a problem. Furthermore if you could provide with the relevant pages of the rulebook, armybook, or FAQ regarding the issue it could help to find a solution!
Note! Do not post what you think is the correct answer in the Question thread, that's what the Discussion thread is for! Finally, only question that affect Bretonnia should be asked, this is not for general 8th edition rule questions.

Second, each week a number of questions (probably around five) will be selected and will be discussed in the Discussion thread. I will make a new post each week (or edit the old one) and present the new questions. After a week of discussions (or more if deemed necessary), a large majority agreed solution is made. This answer will be added in the new community FAQ. Keep discussions on topic and civil, as we are all Damsels and Knights with honor which we have to uphold before the Lady of the Lake!

Third, structure your argument!, A clear oversight of your arguments allows for better discussions. Furthermore, refer to the rulebook, our armybook and (official) FAQs as much as possible. Note similar cases from other armies, older FAQs and in some cases our Fluff as an army can be acceptable arguments. However, understand that they probably carry less weight than those from sources of the aforementioned sources.

Four, note that the FAQ is not set in stone, if someone brings up a valid argument completely missed the first time a question can be discussed again. Furthermore, it would be a very wise to revise the entire FAQ after a year, when people have mastered the rules and when new GW FAQs are released (or hopefully a new Bretonnian Armybook!). Therefore the FAQ will be updated at least yearly if there is enough enthusiasm present.

Let the Question Thread begin! I will post the Discussion thread at the end of this week on saturday or sunday evening.
----------------------------------------

This is not a wishlist thread, this isn't for suggestions regarding how Bretonnia should be changed in the new armybook!
Last Edit: 2010/07/21 14:49 By Artinam.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Artinam (Moderator)
Re:!Question Thread!: The FAQ of the Roundtable: Community Project 6 Years, 9 Months ago
Questions regarding Bretonnia and the 8th Edition rules can now be posted below! Read the first post before you write your questions! Good Luck!
Long Live the Fighters!
Re:!Question Thread!: The FAQ of the Roundtable: Community Project 6 Years, 9 Months ago
Hello Artinam,

Kudos for doing this!

I'm curious though, there are two different elements to this that I can see.

1) FAQ about the rules that don't work or are not clear. These are items that we would want submitted to Games Workshop in the hopes that they might address them.

2) FAQ about common Bretonnia or 8th Edition General Rules. These would be items that we don't want to continuously answer by new posters.

Which of these are you working on here? Perhaps both?

Harolde
Last Edit: 2010/07/21 01:04 By Harolde Bartholemew de Raconter.

Storm of Vengeance

The tale of Kristian Barqvist de la Ra'ede - First Son and Lord Commander of Her Lady's Vengeance - the Ra'ede.

Heraldry by Sir Guy
Knights Errant - Impetuous.

So I have a question on the Impetuous test on KE. If it has already been answered I apologize.

Do you roll to determine what their charge distance is before checking impetuous? Or do you use the base movement?
Artinam (Moderator)
I have a question to for confirmation. In the previous edition we could not give magical shields to our Battle Standard Bearer as he could not take a mundane shield. According to some this has been changed, but I am unsure.
Long Live the Fighters!
Ikurei Conphas wrote:
Knights Errant - Impetuous.

So I have a question on the Impetuous test on KE. If it has already been answered I apologize.

Do you roll to determine what their charge distance is before checking impetuous? Or do you use the base movement?

It seems to be the consensus that you roll to see what your charge range for that turn would be. By RAW, it says:

Page 48:
...units that did not declare a charge but are within charge range of an enemy must take a leadership test...

And to determine your charge range, you roll 2d6 and add your movement. Simple.

Artinam wrote:
I have a question to for confirmation. In the previous edition we could not give magical shields to our Battle Standard Bearer as he could not take a mundane shield. According to some this has been changed, but I am unsure.

There is no rule in the BSB section, the magic armour section, nor the Bretonnian Army book that would forbid this. So, he can take the shield.
Artinam (Moderator)
Read the first post before you post please.. this is the Question thread not the discussion thread. Do not answer or discuss the Question here but in the soon to come Discussion thread. This topic is purely for the posing of questions!

I enjoy your enthousiasm for solving the questions but please save your answers for that topic, thanks!
Last Edit: 2010/07/21 11:09 By Artinam.
Long Live the Fighters!
1. Do units in Lance Formation disrupt?

I (and the people I play with) play that they do. RAI seem to swing this way. RAW say they do not (see BRB pg 52 Disruption).

2. Can the Fay Enchantress be put in the second rank like Damsels and Prophetesses?

BRB pg 97 Position in the Unit says that Characters go in the front rank unless they would displace the Command Group - in which case they go behind.

Bretonnia pg 40 Forming the Lance says Characters must be placed in the front rank. It then says that Damsels or Prophetesses may go in the second rank.

The Fay Enchantress is not described as a Damsel or a Prophetess. Even though she is the most powerful wizard, only the lesser ones are granted protection. Seems silly to me (although I'm biased).

3. Does the lance still work when the Fay Enchantress takes the outside place of a knight?

Bretonnia pg 41 The Lance in Combat. The last paragraph on page 41 implies that it does. But this then brings up another question.

If the Fay Enchantress is allowed to go in the second rank and she effectively rests in the centre and the edge, does she get all of her attacks (including Silvaron's)?

I would say that considering everything above - yes.

4. What happens when the Grail Reliquae flees? Does it just count as not having a Standard or is the entire Reliquae model removed (and all the other special rules along with it)?

BRB pg 94 says that we are to remove the Standard Bearer model. This would result in more than just the Standard Bearer being removed in this case and would knock out all of the special rules of the unit. It only makes sense that just the Standard aspect of the unit is affected. RAW versus RAI.

5. Do Bound Items in older army books use power dice (such as the Fay Enchantress' Chalice of Potions?

BRB pg 37 Bound Spells says that this is the case. However, on pg 134 (sidebar) it says that the army composition rule is The Only case in the new book where the new book supersedes Army Books.

Even in the example on pg 37 they use a new bound item that is in the new rule book. They should have used an old one from an old book.

I believe that RAI say all Bound Items need power dice.

6. Can Non-monster and Non-chariot Flyers join other units other than those listed?

BRB pg 97 What Unit Can I Join says they cannot join a unit of monsters, flyers, chariots, swarms or war machines.

It then says that if the character is a monster or a chariot it cannot join other units.

Through this, RAW says that a flyer can join units of infantry, cavalry, etc.

The only thing I can find that may say otherwise is on pg 505 Arabyan Carpet which says that this flyer cannot join units.

All this does lead to the question:

If a flyer on foot joins a cavalry unit, does the flyer use his ground movement and slow down the cavalry or can he use his fly movement to keep up with the cavalry?

This was answered in the 7th Edition 2nd general FAQ where it stated that "The unit must use the same type of movement".

This should be evidence enough that it is intended to work this way. This does affect Bretonnia because flying wizards attached to enemy cavalry can be a pain otherwise.

Something else to keep in mind:

6a. Can I make a unit of just characters?

Yes. BRB pg 97 What Unit Can I Join

7. Are the 0-1 restrictions disregarded?

Much debated. Needs an official ruling.

8. Do the special effects of the BSB still work if he refuses a challenge (other than his leadership)?

This was what happened in the 7th edition. In 8th it only says that their Leadership cannot be used (BRB pg 102 Refusing a Challenge).

That's it for now.
Harolde

Storm of Vengeance

The tale of Kristian Barqvist de la Ra'ede - First Son and Lord Commander of Her Lady's Vengeance - the Ra'ede.

Heraldry by Sir Guy
Raf (User)

The Order of the Tactician in silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
I am participating in the NoVa Open. It is the first event of the North American Tournament Circuit to be held after the new Rulebook. I asked the Referee rules several questions in advance. What I got back:

1) The Bretonnian Lance will disrupt enemy units.

2) KotR are NOT required as 1+ units.

3) BSB is still 1+

4) Pegasus Knights, Grail Pilgrims, and Grail Knights are 0-1 units.

5) The Banner of the Lady simply negates CR for ranks.

NOTE: This is simply a tournament ruling and has not been made official yet.
Not counting multi-player games...
Eighth Edition Record:
6W-7L-3D in Tournament Play
16W-4L in Singles Play
(Not playing much anymore...)
Artinam (Moderator)
I love your enthousiasm but could you please not post explanations in this thread and wait for the discussion thread.

Please guys its real easy, Question thread is for questions only.. don't want to be the evil enforcing moderator.
Long Live the Fighters!
Artinam wrote:

Please guys its real easy, Question thread is for questions only.. don't want to be the evil enforcing moderator.

Though you could now, with your Mod Powers
No seriously, maybe it works better to have questions and a complete discussion for a rule / clarification each in its separate thread (one per "issue"? The conclusion with a link could then be added to the FAQ summary thread?
I agree with that.

And by the way - Artinam

Congrats Brother!

I didn't even notice your promotion!

Well deserved,
Harolde

Storm of Vengeance

Heraldry by Sir Guy
Ursus (User)

The Order of the Purple Brush in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Poland flag
Do Brettonian Bowmen's cause fear because of flaming arrows all the time or only on shooting phase?

It is written that flaming attack cause fear in certain type of troops.

Peasant bowman have flaming arrows and flaming attacks.

There is never written that those arrows are flaming only in shooting phase.

If we want go with fluff now we can say that they have braziers all the time so that can cause fear in enemies on other rounds.
Artinam (Moderator)
Alright, I will make a thread shortly for discussion as the first plan doesn't appear to be working
My only concern is that it migth fill up the board rather quickly.
Last Edit: 2010/07/22 10:04 By Artinam.
Long Live the Fighters!
Just in case - is every grail knight model entitled to VP bonus when he kills an enemy character in a challenge?
I beg to remain your most humble and obedient servant,

Rafael de Bois et Guilbert

P.S. If You really have nothing better to do, You can check out my humble painting blog: http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=52312&catid=25
Go to top Post Reply