Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Milton Keynes GT (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Milton Keynes GT
Thornshield (User)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
Milton Keynes GT 3 Weeks, 3 Days ago
Having just come back from MKGT, a 100 player 2-day tourney, I figured it's time to post some reports!
I took the following list, which was similar to my SCGT list, with a few tweaks.

General: Bretonnian Lord, Shield, Barded Warhorse, Virtue of Heroism, The Heartwood Lance, Dawnstone
Prophetess of the Lady, Lvl 4, Lore of Heavens, Steed, The Silver Mirror
BSB: Paladin, Barded Warhorse, Lance, Shield, Virtue of Duty, Banner of Defence
Damsel of the Lady, Lore of Beasts, Steed, Scroll
Paladin, Lance, Shield, Barded Warhorse, Gromril Great Helm
Paladin, Questing Vow, Great Weapon, Barded Warhorse, Insignia of the Quest, Dragonhelm
10 Knights of the Realm, Full Command, Warbanner
11 Knights Errant, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame
5 Knights of the Realm
5 Knights of the Realm
10 Peasant Bowmen, Skirmish
5 Mounted Yeomen, Musician
3 Pegasus Knights
6 Grail Knights
Field Trebuchet
Field Trebuchet

Total: 2500
Comp Score: -2 (this would be applied to the total score at the end of the day)

First up, are two practice games against clubmates.

Practice Game 1: Facing a Dwarf gunline with no Comet!

Dwarf Lord, BSB, 2 Runesmiths, an Engineer
25 Longbeards
25 Hammerers
20-25 Irondrakes
20 Quarellers
2 Cannons
1 Organ Gun
3 Gyrocopters

Opponent received Hatred for his army, so combat may prove a bit tricky. His deployment was a bit too spread out, with a Gyro and quarellers on the extreme left flank and both cannons also on the left flank. In the middle he had his Irondrakes, Longbeards (where his characters bunkered up in), Hammerers and the organ gun. On the right flank he had the two Gyros.

I weighted nearly everything on my left, dropping the Pegasi and Grails in the center early on which baited him on deploying his main blocks there (I wouldn’t think of touching till I had softened it up with Trebs and took out his artillery). On my far right I had the trebs, hence his double Gyros, and to protect them I had the Errants (a bit risky with Impetuous really).

His first turn saw him sending the left Gyros up to try and delay me, while the other two moved halfway across to avoid being charged by the Errants. His shooting began with a whimper – the Organ Gun rolled poorly and the quarrellers only killed 3 yeomen who passed their test on Inspiring Presence. His Irondrakes did much better, killing two Pegasi, causing it to panic and flee backwards. The cannons went for my main-bus but one thankfully failed to wound my general who failed his LOS while the Banner of Defence was absolutely amazing and only two knights fell.

5 KotR charged the left Gyro, winning combat and causing it to run off the board. I advanced up to charge range with everything on the left, putting my Yeomen in front of the quarrellers so that they conferred hard cover to the other small unit of Realms. I tried something different with my Errants and reformed them into a long line in front of my Trebs, so that the Gyros couldn’t fly over. I then tried to swift reform the Grails but failed, so turned them to face the right, along with the lone PK champion who had rallied. Magic was ineffectual and the Trebs missed their targets as expected.

His other Gyros then tried to move around my Errants, one getting out of the arcs of both the Grails and Errants. The other was still in range of the lone PK, but I suspect he thought there’d be enough shooting to kill it (which they failed spectacularly). I think he tried grapeshotting the Yeomen to clear the way for his quarrellers, but somehow failed to kill them all leaving one sole peasant who started running away from it. This did mean the 5 knights were now in clear sight, so he blasted away, killing 3 but they passed their test. With either his second cannon or the organ gun, he tried to take down this unit, causing something like 6 wounds – which I failed nearly all the AS, then passed all but one of the wards, leaving the champ standing. Wow.

In response, I sent the lone champ into the cannon and failed a charge against the other with my main bus, rolling a mighty double 1 and a 2. The errants failed their test and tried to charge the far Gyro and also stumbled forward, but the PK got in easily. The lone yeomen somehow rallied and I stuck it right in front of the dwarves and brought the 5 KotR up. Thinking I was unlikely to defend the Trebs now, I sent the Grails up forward. Again, magic was denied and a trebuchet misfired, while the other aiming for the organ gun scattered and squashed a few dwarves. The KotR champ fluffed while his steed did a wound, winning combat but they stuck around. The PK broke the Gyro and caught it, landing dangerously close to the Hammerers.

His hammerers declared a charge on the PK, which I fled and rolled immensely high, getting away. His last Gyro went for the closest Treb, but was too far for an overrun into the next. Shooting wise, his quarrellers shot 2 KotR down from the small unit, tried to cannon off more of my main bus but the banner saved them again, while his Irondrakes and Organ gun brought the Grails down to a lone knight. Then in combat, the KotR champ killed another crewmember, but again it held.

Finally getting the charge in with the main bus, it easily took out the cannon and they reformed to face the quarrellers, who were now looking at a flank charge from the small KotR unit. The PK rallied after its feigned flight and together with the lone Grail, both ran behind a building so they couldn’t be shot at further. The Errants spun about, hoping to cover the area where the Gyro would likely return to the board if it charged the last Treb in its next turn. And knowing its days were numbered, the Treb struck a direct hit on the Organ gun, smashing it to bits! Meanwhile, that lone KotR brought the cannon down to one final crew…only to be charged by an Engineer (who jumped away from the splintered Organ Gun) on the next turn.

My opponent started moving his combat blocks towards the center, facing the threat that was now in his deployment zone. With no shooting left to do other than kill the last yeomen, combat began with his Gyro failing to kill off all Treb crewmembers, and I passed another super low Ld test! The brave lone KotR who was still facing the cannon failed to kill the last crewmember and the engineer failed to do a wound either. However, the last crewmember swung hard (and jinxed by my opponent who said anything but a 1), felling the knight finally.

I then charged the quarrellers and wiped out half the unit, bringing it to double 1s and pursued off the board. Meanwhile in the bottom right corner, my Errants destroyed the Gyro that failed to take down the Treb, but were now too far from the enemy for the last few turns.

With only one final target to shoot, he aimed the cannon at the Treb and fired off, but rolled a 1 to wound. In return, I dropped a direct hit on his Longbeard bunker causing quite a number of wounds, but he too showed he could make insane saves and not enough died to even take a panic test! (We both have a reputation for fluffing in shooting and combat, but making 5+ saves like it’s the easiest thing to do). With my second last turn bringing my main bus back on, I thought I’d be cheeky and bring both the lone PK and GK out from hiding and set up a rear charge into the Irondrakes as the mainbus overruns from the cannon on my last turn.

This forced him to turn them around (now offering only a flank) and shoot off the GK. Still not able to let a combat take place, his cannon let rip and managed to kill the PK. And with that, on my last turn I could only go straight for the cannon (engineer jumped out for safety again) and that was game.

Tallying up the points, I thought that the PK and GK would make it a draw, but it looked like I was comfortably up by 200 points. Definitely could have gone worse!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Thornshield (User)
Re:Milton Keynes GT 3 Weeks, 3 Days ago
Practice Game 2: In which we find out the new wood elves are far shootier than dwarves!

Played a clubmate who’s the UK’s top WE player shortly after the new book hit. He had a Lvl 4 Shadow, a Lvl 2 Shadow, a Lvl 1 Metal, a BSB and a Waystalker leading the army. Think it was 4 units of Trueflight Glade Guard, a unit of poison Glade Guard, 2 poison scouts, 2 units of Waywatchers and 2 eagles. Sooo much shooting.

Started off with on omen of the battle to come, when my skirmishing bowmen stepped foot into a woods to find out they were now subject to stupidity. It then followed with some bad deployment on my part, where I deployed my Trebuchet on the right flank just within 30” from a building in the opponent’s deployment zone, where he then deployed a unit of poison GG. I also had dropped my peg knights nearby early on. On my left flank, I had 2 units of KotR, the Grails and Yeomen facing off against 2 units of trueflight GG, as well as two units of poison scouts who parked far enough away that they couldn’t be charged and shot off my Treb on the first turn.

The rest of my army was heavily weighted in the centre, with my bus on the right facing his two units of trueflight GG who were within a forest, one behind the other, close to the building with the poisoned archers. He had his BSB, lvl 4 and a lvl 2 in the unit behind, which also had the banner of discipline. His eagles both hid behind the building and I had Errants right in the center, to deal with either side (provided it didn’t get shot to pieces!)

With vanguard, I moved the yeomen up and close to the scouting GG’s flank and moved the Pegasi towards the centre but further back out of range in fear of the poison GG and WWs. This was a pretty big mistake, as the first turn saw him letting loose on my main bus, felling almost half the KotR. If I had left them there I perhaps could have diverted his attention awhile longer and have more bodies to spare by the time I got up close. The treb on the left was taken down, while the one on the right survived with 1 crew left. The yeomen were obviously shot up, sparing the smaller knight units nearby, but the errants took huge casualties. He cast miasma on my main bus on a high roll, so I let that go, and he then IFed the next one, making them M3.

I rushed forwards as far as I could and my comet was dispelled, but then IFed Chain Lightning. Rolled 6 hits, and promptly rolled 3 1s. The miscast was magical feedback and both ladies took wounds. To make up for that, the treb scored a direct hit on the GG character bunker, forcing him to abandon ship and hide them in the unit in front.

His units started to shuffle back and he sent an eagle out to block chargers. His second round of shooting was equally as lethal, taking down the Lvl 1 with his Waystalker and finished off the treb. A few grails fell to massed firepower and he reduced the Errants to 4 knights and the KotR to the banner and champ (plus characters). If we can just get there on time! Magic was mostly stopped, with the Silver Mirror taking out the lvl 2 Shadow mage who had taken a wound from his own miscast earlier and more importantly, meant I removed Withering. His metal mage then IFed with a Power Stone to burninate my Pegasi.

In response, I managed to cast a comet in front of the 2 GG units on the left, making sure it was also within average range of the forest closer to me, where he could moonstone his character bunker into. I also Icesharded the WW to reduce their effectiveness. I slaughtered the eagle in combat and also took out a unit of scouts, while shifting as much as I could up the left flank.

With the comet in the way, he didn’t moonstone out and ran into the building to hide his Lvl 4. He also Mindrazored his Waywatchers! The comet then hit home on his turn, killing quite a few GG from both units. This really helped, as it meant his shooting failed to negate the threat on the left. On the other side, he found out that normal shooting was no help against the main-bus once it went down to mostly characters. I finally got my charges off, even pulling off a sneaky overrun into a fleeing unit.

Despite ASF and me having a handful of knights remaining, the weakened GG on the left were destroyed and the fleeing scout unit. While I killed the Waywatchers off, my characters took some serious wounds and couldn’t overrun off the board.

The last few rounds of shooting saw him failing to kill the knights on the left flank, but left my General all by his lonesome on one wound, surrounded by GG in the building and the last unit of WW. With nowhere to go, he tried to seek safety in the forest nearby (we joked that he’d rather meet his demise by DT instead!). Alas, the final volley was too much and he took that lethal shot, succumbing to the might of the forest.

Tallying up, we had very little left in points, and it was a 7-13 loss for me. What a game!

Sidenote: There were 8 Dwarves and 7 WEs at the tourney, making them one of the more popular choices, but as always, didn't face them!
Thornshield (User)
And on to the tournament!

Game 1: Beastmen!
Flying Doombull
Lvl 4 Death + extra dice when causing a wound
3 Lvl 2 Beasts + Herdstone
BSB
65 Gors
50 Bestigors
35 Ungors
Unit of Harpies
5 Centigors
2 Razorgors

Too many bodies to take on with no comet! The plan was to drop a few rocks on the Bestigors and combo charge, while chaffing up the insanely large unit of Gors. But as all plans involving peasants, it inevitably goes wrong. First turn he moves everything up except the Ungors who sit back. My first rock hit the Ungors, but they don’t panic, while the 2nd blows itself up turn 1. Great. The remaining treb manages one more partial hit on the Bestigors, then decides to pack up for the day.

On the left flank, I had my main bus keeping the Doombull in check while moving closer to the middle, where I had the Errants facing off against the Bestigors and Gors who were slowly advancing. On the right flank, the Grails dance with the Centigors and finally get the charge in, destroying them before turning to face the weakened Ungor bunker in the middle. After throwing all my chaff away to slow down the impending horde of bodies, the game shifted completely with something we didn’t expect. Having been hit by Doom & Darkness the turn before, the Errants failed their Impetuous test and decided to charge the Bestigors while the main block was a turn away. At this point I could sacrifice the last KotR dart to divert the Gors, or send them into the Bestigors too. I chose the latter thinking there was a chance I could break the bestigors, but fully accepted that if it failed, they’d be counter-charged in the flank by the Gors.

Regrettably, he stopped the buffs and hexes and I didn’t do enough wounds to break him. And with that, the Gors came in and he transformed into a Mountain Chimera! (Yet somehow he couldn’t wipe out either unit). This caused them to break and run right in front of my main bus’s path, which only slowed them down another turn, keeping the Ungors safe for the rest of the game. My last chance on getting some points lay with the Grails who were getting close to the Ungors, but a careless mistake with me choosing to pursue a diverter meant they were in charge range of the Gors who had turned around. Ah well.

And with that, I took a solid beating with the score being 1-19. Good fun though, just a bad matchup without Comet or the crutch that is Dwellers.

Game 2: High Elves
Lvl 4 High
Lvl 2
Mounted Noble kitted for survival
BSB
13 Silver Helms
Block of White Lions
Block of Swordmasters
10 archers
One each of Flamespyre & Frostheart
2 units of 5 Reavers

Again, the plan was to sit back and shoot, while threatening long charges. But like the first game, things just didn’t want to go as planned! The first shot had a direct hit on his white lions, taking out half the unit. The second misfired and rolled a 1. Pegasi kept the right flank busy, threatening the archers and keeping a Frostheart at bay, but then failed some saves and a panic test saw it fleeing off the board. He threw away his reavers early to get to my sole treb, slipping through on the left flank as the KotR unit protecting the side failed a panic test from magic and got charged off the board. The yeomen and archers then managed to shoot them down for revenge. Just.

His silver helms charged my main block early on after baiting it, as I knew I could take the hits and win by a ridiculous amount of CR. This thankfully happened but I failed to catch them on the pursuit. This forced me to declare a charge and catch them the next turn, but it meant it took them away from the middle where things were about to go badly.

I had brought my Errants and Grails up (plus a unit of KotR nearby), at 16” from the Swordmasters and White Lions. He took the gutsy move and declared charges on the Errants with SM and Grails with the WLs. The latter failed, but he rolled the 11” needed for the SM! Uh oh. SMs at full strength proceeded to hack the Errants to pieces and he reformed them face the Grails.

On my next turn, I proceeded to make a huge blunder, which was to charge the WLs with the Grails and KotR. Why? Never commit Grails until you know which unit has the Banner of the World Dragon! 2nd time they’ve been smashed up by a unit carrying it. As this was his 2nd tourney and never faced Brets before, he didn’t realise the Grails had magical attacks. We had rolled combat, where the Grails completely wiped them out, and he off-handedly remarked that they carried the banner. I then told him to re-do the combat, wouldn’t be right taking a win because of him not knowing they were innately magical.

He then IF dwellers my main bus from afar, taking out my BSB and a few knights. I then decide to finish off the WLs with what’s remaining of the bus, charging in despite his Phoenixes coming closer, having been on extreme flanks doing nothing all game. I then proceed to delete nearly the rest of my unit with an IF Iceshard on 3 dice. It strikes again! I only kill a few WLs, win combat, but he’s stubborn. His final turn, the Frosty fails the charge, but the Flamespyre gets in. My general then HKBs it (two 6s out of 3 hits!) and again I win combat, but there’s still a few WLs left. At the end of the turn, the Phoenix fails to come back.

Last turn, last magic phase is small, and tired from all the grinding, the remaining characters can’t finish the job and just before the game ends, his Phoenix comes back alive! Nooo! As we tallied up, I thought it was a small loss, only to remember we had the Blood & Glory scenario which gives 825 points and he had broken me earlier thanks to the dwellers!

So it was a rocky rollercoaster ride to a 2-18 loss. Must remember to read the scenario!
Thornshield (User)
Game 3: Dark Elves
This was the weirdest list I’ve seen at a tournament. Opponent had a massive block of Corsairs with a Cauldron in the unit, 2 units of 10 Cold One Knights, 2 bolt throwers, a small unit of Crossbowmen and 4 Cold One Chariots. Character-wise, there was a Lvl 3 Dark, which did almost nothing all game and no BSB!

The scenario was a Blood Forest in the middle, giving 825 pts to the side which had the most fortitude in it at the end of the game. Neither of us wanted to get in there too early.

On the right flank, I took out a chariot and a unit of COK with Errants and KotR, sacrificing the Pegasi to get a good position. The left flank saw Grails, KotR and Yeomen try to get into the Bolt throwers, only to face a chariot which took out the KotR before being avenged by the Grails.

But the main fun happened in the centre, where my bus got the charge off the other CoK unit, absolutely destroying them. This put them in what would seem like a bad position, to be flanked by the Corsairs the next turn, but I knew that even with lots of hits, S3 can’t take off the character wall as I made way with them into the flank. With ridiculous CR, I won combat again and again, only for them to repeatedly roll snake eyes for their break test! Eventually however, they broke (just in time, as my chars had started taking wounds) and that pretty much guaranteed me the win.

For funsies, I marched my Errants and characters into the forest, joking that they’d likely kill themselves tripping over branches. Not this time though, netting me a 20-0 win.

Game 4: WoC
Fighty Disc Lord
Lvl 2 Tz
BSB
Throgg
8 Chaos Ogres
7 Trolls
2 Slaanesh Chariots
Block of 24 Marauders
2 units of 5 hounds
Hellcannon

Opponent bunkered his Marauders, BSB and Lvl 2 into the building, and weighted his left flank heavily, with Throgg joining the unit of Ogres. Trolls stayed centre with some hounds, and I had my Errants here. I had a unit of KotR and Grails on my left, facing off against a chariot, while my main bus stayed centre-right along with a unit of KotR.

We both pushed forwards, throwing our chaff away at each other to gain a better position. His Hellcannon struck directly on my main unit and unfortunately, the Banner of Defence couldn't save them all and I took 3 knights off. My treb responded with a direct hit on the Ogres, doing 4 wounds (rolled 1 wound on the centre-hit, sigh). It then proceeded to blow itself up the next turn, while the other misfired for the remaining 5 turns. Wow.

On the left, my Grails got charged by the Chariot, couldn't make their saves but stuck around. The KotR then flanked it, but I fluffed and lost combat. He chased the Grails down, and the KotR fled and didn't rally the next turn.

His Disc Lord came flying into the centre, but he was wary of charging anything. He did the usual double flee move with the hounds and due to odd dice rolls, the hounds ended up blocking the Trolls. Eventually however, I got into combat with the trolls on an overrun, and caused them to flee on his turn. He rolled high enough to get away, bouncing over hounds and I thought, crap, I really missed the chance. Luckily, it was my turn next, which meant they mowed the hounds and fleeing trolls down.

All this while, we had been playing the usual dance of death between my main bus and his Throgg bus. In a series of mutual sacrifices, I found myself unable to reform after destroying his chariot and had to overrun past the water feature (river). This was to be my undoing, as when it finally came down to my charge into his ogres, the 1s came. From a unit of 12 (including characters), my Paladin tripped up, as well as the champion and 2 more knights, all failing their ward saves.

This was made even worse when I 3-dice IF'd Curse of the Midnight Wind (draining my remaining dice so I couldn't cast Iceshard) and proceeded to remove the rest of the unit barring the banner bearer. I then caused two wounds onto Throgg with my General, taking a wound in return from the Ogres, my Questing Paladin did two more in a challenge with the Ogre champ, taking a wound in return, while my other Paladin fell to Throgg's hunger (or bad breath?).

He was still steadfast and stuck around, and brought the Disc Lord into the fray the next turn. Sensing this was the end, my General HKBed Throgg (two 6s in 3 hits!) but the unit was sorely overwhelmed and was scattered to the winds.

On my second last turn, I moved the Errants to a safe spot where they wouldn't flee off the table even if they panicked, and charged in with the last unit of KotR into the chariot that had been chasing them. Alas, they fluffed and were dishonourably beaten in the final turns, making it a 4-16 loss. Beware the rivers!
Thornshield (User)
Game 5: Tomb Kings
My final opponent was fielding a +16 TK list, which was really interesting, but was my perfect matchup. He had a massive block of Archers where Khatep, a Lvl 2 Death and BSB hung out, an equally massive block of skellies, 2 Bone Giants, a Casket, 2 units of Stalkers and an ungodly amount of Skelly Horsemen.

He spread the Horsemen across the table and then bunkered his archers and warriors on my left, with the giants in this flank. The right had a unit of Stalkers (the other being entombed) threatening my Trebs, which I redeployed my Pegasi to deal with. They however, failed an easy charge, and allowed the horsemen to take down the Treb, but not after it dropped a huge rock on the Warriors, while the other Treb scattered but still took out a number of archers.

Apart from a few scuffles, I was mainly stuck at the back after he cast the Incantation of Vengeance which would force me to take DT tests on my main block if I even moved. Still shaken from the previous game's DT tests, I opted to sit back and let my other units take out some horsemen.

Eventually, I scrolled the third IoV after baiting his Warriors into the forest with some bowmen. I smashed my Errants and character bus into it and got a boosted Savage Beasts up (only game where I didn't swap out for Wyssans). The calamitous detonation that killed 6 Errants was worth it, because in one round, the unit of 35 warriors was annihilated.

Meanwhile, some knights held their ground against a Bone Giant, while the Grails and Pegasi had dispatched the other Horsemen and Stalker units on the other side. Even Yeomen did their work and successfully dispatched the horsemen that took down the Trebuchet!

Sensing defeat, he kept moving his archer block back to the table edge as I surrounded him, and was just too far away to be charged on my final turn.

A solid 15-5 win!

---

So 2 wins, 3 losses. Not a particularly triumphant weekend for Bretonnia, but if the book does come out next month, I think that last game is a fitting end to the Crusade!

And in other news, I was honoured to pick up Best Painted Army (2nd and 3rd went to two gorgeous OnG armies) which is my first trophy at a GT!

Shineeeyyyy.

Crusade Points:
Practice Games: 2 fully painted games + 1 win = 5 points
MKGT: 5 fully painted games + 2 wins = 22 points
quickfuze (User)

profile icon User Offline
Re:Milton Keynes GT 2 Weeks, 3 Days ago
Gratz on a well made effort. Also props on a "proper" painted bret army. I firmly believe that having a unified color scheme across a bret army is simply ridiculous. Each knight SHOULD be of unique heraldry. Except for those hard headed Errants......no honors for them......
Sume (User)
profile icon User Online Now
Re:Milton Keynes GT 2 Weeks, 3 Days ago
Wonderful job on winning the painting. I like the look of your army from what I saw in the pictures. To me a true Bretonnian army is so colorful, at least along the knights.
CarpeNoctum60 (User)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Re:Milton Keynes GT 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago
Well done! I'd like to see more of your army up close if pics are available. From what I could see here, very well done.
In night as well as day, the enemy is ever present. Carpe Nox!
Thornshield (User)
Re:Milton Keynes GT 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago
Thanks all. I've got a plog here: http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&catid=25&id=86780#86780

The last page has new (better) pictures, plus the close ups you've requested.
Go to top Post Reply