Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Defensive Bretonnians? (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Defensive Bretonnians?
Sir Grift (User)

profile icon User Offline
Defensive Bretonnians? 7 Years, 5 Months ago
Hi guys!

First of all apologies if I posted this in the wrong section - it's difficult to know where to post anything on this website! lol

I prefer to play aggresively and Brets will be no exception. However, don't you ever get tired of smashing enemies to peices after heroic (and often stupid) frontal charges - I never have!

Bretonnians will have to play defensive sometimes, I think, to defend sacred places and their castles etc... but what makes a good defensive Bretonnian army?

I came up with a small list (I was bored, y'see)... Having no experience with Bretonnians, it's probably rubbish

Damsel - Dispel Scroll 95
Damsel on Warhorse 80
Paladin BSB - Virtue of Empathy, Grail Vow 91

5 Knights of the Realm 120
14 Peasant Bowmen, Skirmish 98
11 Peasant Bowmen 66
10 Peasant Bowmen 60
19 Men-at-Arms - Standard, Musician 110

Grail Reliquae with 8 extra pilgims 190
Feild Trebuchet 90

The tactics are pretty straight forward. Wait, defend, and counter-charge!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Defensive Bretonnians? 7 Years, 5 Months ago
To play defensively you need to have serious threats from the distance to make your enemy come to you. Imho that can't be done with the Bretonnia...
My Art Blog: Valleys of Eternity
Sir Grift (User)

Yes, I realise that. But just suppose you had to field a defensive army (using a scenario, perhaps), so the enemy will be assaulting you whether you like it or not!

What would make a good defensive Brettonian army?

I would favour massed arrow fire, feild trebuchets and at least 2 damsels. As well as that mandatory knight unit and the Grail Reliquae.
Hmmm, this belongs either in the army list section or general's council section.
Moved it since it appears to be an army list to me.
Survivor from Chateau Montreford

Sir William (User)
The Golden Brush 2012 (Click to see more)The Golden Brush 2011 (Click to see more)The Order of the Silver Lance (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
I personally think that the key to playing defensively for Bretonnians is the counter charge. In which case you'd want more than 1 unit of knights.
The Templar Order
For the Lady and Bretonnia!

Cosar (User)
profile icon User Offline Taiwan flag
I've played recently with defensive army as a scenario desired it...

I've been defending against countless orks... The scenario was about holding as long as possible. Every enemy destroyed comes from his table edge again...

I won the scenario...

To achieve that you must base on static CR. Best for this is of course infantry.

As our infantry does not shock with stats we have to improve them with numbers. So here are mi tips:

Characters should take virtue of empathy (at best a BSB. It will make your army having 2 generals)

Base on infantry. Take 1 unit of cavalry (6) for every 2-3 units of infantry.

Field 25s not 20s...

grail Reliquae is a MUST as you need sth that withstands every charge...

do not take so many points in bowmen

3 units are even too much in many cases but I advice you to use up to three... depending on size (1 unit for each 500 pts.

DO NOT ALLOW TO BREAK YOUR LINE. If enemy manages to get into your flanks you're lost. Put knights on flanks to protect them.

Do not waste points on magic. Cadis are magic force you need in this type of army.

I love trebuchet so I field it in almost every battle but if you don't like or can't play with it well, leave it guarding your city... It will moe disturb than help you...

Hope my tips will be useful..

Greetings! And may the Lady be with you at the time of battle!
"The universe is tripartiate: the sunlight of the material plane, the darkness of the spirit plane and the twilight of spaces betwixt the two." - Iyanna Arienal

Check out my Iyanden army blog: http://www.thesparkofiyanden.blogspot.com
Sir Grift (User)

Uther Di Asturien wrote:
Hmmm, this belongs either in the army list section or general's council section.
Moved it since it appears to be an army list to me.

It was supposed to be a discussion! I only included a short list of troops that I might include in a defensive army to give a general idea... that, and I was bored!

Some good tips there Zythaar. In a defensive force I would think that the Grail Reliquae and at least a Trebuchet or two would be valuable additions to your army.

Having two Generals would also be a massive help, especially with all those peasants you'll probably be taking.

Though, I would probably still include a Damsel - I can't resist a pretty lady! lol
Go to top Post Reply