Events Events
Literature Literature
Tactics Tactics
Hobby Hobby
Background Background
User Login
Support us

Vote at the The Warvault: Warvault Webring
Vote for us at the Warvault.net Webring!

Support the maintenance and costs of running this site:

Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:DE/daemon problems? 2000 points of fast and furious Bret action (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:DE/daemon problems? 2000 points of fast and furious Bret action
greenburger (User)
profile icon User Offline United Kingdom flag
DE/daemon problems? 2000 points of fast and furious Bret action 8 Years, 6 Months ago
I have formed this list to offer a very fast and hard hitting answer to some of the nasty DE and daemon lists out there - would value your thoughts.

Make the General potent:
A Lord with virtue of heroism is just not going to stand up to a dragon or hydra, let alone a greater demon on his own - no chance of using a magic weapon makes him impotent and too fragile to risk.

I feel the following combo could be better in the dragon/hydra killing fields. He flies in with support from a paladin with the large creature killing blow and a unit of peg knights to give numbers in the attack.

He rerolls to hit and wound and always wounds on a 3+ = this is going to hurt anything out there. Always target the dragon rather than the mount to avoid inevitable high save and wards - win through CR

Add a flying paladin large creature killer to support the peg knights
If the paladin supports the lord he can attack first in case the killing blow comes off. At the very least a additional 3 S6 attacks will come in handy and makes a total of 11 pegasus knight flying units on the table.

If not he can join a unit of peg knights in attacking lone large creatures such as treemen, vargulfs, hydras etc - from the flank in the case of the hydra or in support of a knight attack.

To accomodate the Paladin with large creature killing I have had to sacrifice have a trebuchet or bowmen - a heavy price. Now I am an expert at estmating ranges 9and have some tips if you need them, but the reality is both units are often overun or run away through panic

Change instead of a unit of errants or knights consider a smaller unit of grail knights with better psychology characteristics

The best way to deal with a hydra is 5 abreast not in a wedge - that way you attack both handlers as your frontage means the knights on the ends cannot attack the hydra. 5 grail knights gives you 10 S6 attacks from guys immune to psychology at all times whereas the errants have the impetuous flaw, take panic checks when terror causing nasties are near etc, and need an errantry banner to access S6.

In a wedge and with champion they muster 2 more horses at S3 but 1 less knight attack and are S5. Also, 5 knights are easier to move around and may be underestimated next to 2 bigger blocks.

As an asside, if you come up against ethereal units these guys will have 10 S6 magic attacks before the scythes come back in-bound so a unit of 5 wraiths would be taken down to 1 or potentially eliminated

Grail vow
Royal Pegasus
Virtue of Audacity
Sword of ladies champion
Gomril great helm

1 Paladin
Royal pegasus
Virtue of heroism
Lance
Grail vow

1 Damsel
2 scrolls
Barded Warhorse

1 Damsel
2 scrolls
Barded Warhorse

1 Paladin BSB
Barded warhorse
Shield
Lance
Valorous Standard
Virtue of Duty

7 Knights of the realm
Musician/standard
Warbanner

3 Pegasus Knights
Musician

3 Pegasus Knights
Musician

3 Pegasus Knights
Musician

5 grail knights
standard
musician
War banner

8 knights errant
musician/standard

Total points 1999
Last Edit: 2008/10/12 20:36 By Uther Di Asturien. Reason: Points cost
lavatio est pro squires
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Raf (User)

The Order of the Tactician in silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
Re:DE/daemon problems? 2000 points of fast and furious Bret action 8 Years, 6 Months ago
Pegasus knights will have trouble passing leadership tests to charge demons. All demons cause fear or terror. They have about a 30% chance of failing on any attempt to charge. In that situation, they will be stuck where they are at (fear) or fleeing (terror). This will make them vulnerable to charges from other units.
Not counting multi-player games...
Eighth Edition Record:
6W-7L-3D in Tournament Play
16W-4L in Singles Play
(Not playing much anymore...)
Re:DE/daemon problems? 2000 points of fast and furious Bret action 8 Years, 6 Months ago
Please don't use points cost, we wouldnt want GW snooping around would we?
Survivor from Chateau Montreford

CJet (User)

profile icon User Offline
Can't have 2 warbanners in 1 army as per the no duplicate magic item rule. The valorous standard can only be carried by a questing or grail knight standard bearer as it is for knight units only and cost 50 pts, 25 above the limit for core knight choices. Swap banners between the BSB and grail knights and dump the second war banner and you have 26 pts to spend. I'd consider the errantry banner, but otherwise nice hard hitting all cav RAF list. Best way to fight cheese lists is with your own cheese.
greenburger (User)
Thanks for the advice on this - a couple of schoolboy errors regarding item duplication.

Re: banner choices. Can the BSB not select any banner from the list? the valorous banner does say knights only - which I take to mean any of the mounted units bar the yeomans. I guess my thinking on this was to give the Knights of the realm some psychology cover in charging fear/terror causing units and break tests. The errants can obviously ignore psychology on the charge and the grail knights have their vow.

I did consider the banner of defence for either the grail knights or Knights of the realm as their armour will cover for S4 or less but hits from warmachines or Tzeentzch magic could make them vulnerable - what do you think?

Agree on the errantry banner - that extra strength will come in handy, although having a warbanner and BSB in the Knights of the Realm gives them real teeth on the CR stakes
lavatio est pro squires
Artinam (Moderator)
The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
Check the Official GWFAQ for further confirmation regarding the Valorous Standard. It was a pretty big discussion here about it before the FAQ.
I most often employ the Banner of Defence on units of Grail Knights.

You could use it on KOTR trough the BSB. Nonetheless I thinks its a defensive item, put it where your sure you will save the most points with it.
Long Live the Fighters!
Honneur aux armes, respect aux maitres!
tomahawk (User)
The Order of the Tactician in gold (Click to see more)The Order of the Dragon in Silver (Click to see more)The Order of the Smith in Silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline Netherlands flag
Also illegal:

BSB cannot have a mundane lance or a shield either..

It is forbidden to post pointcost of items and models.
Next time leave the total pointcost of the units..

You could have known all of this of course if you had read the rules and FAQ's on this forum before posting
Last Edit: 2008/10/13 00:17 By tomahawk.
Duke of Bretonnia, Elector Count of the Empire, Mercenary General, Goblin Warboss, Elf Prince, Dwarven Thane, Saurus Scar-Veteran, Vampire Count and Highborn of the Druchii.
greenburger (User)
Thanks for your patience on the newbies - apologies. I will walk to the nearest ducking pond in a hair shirt as penitence

Will have to reconsider the valorous banner, the lance and shield then. It makes no sense not allowing the 50 Point banner to be used by BSB in any knights unit but I will take it on the chin

I do like a hero in the KOTR, but perhaps one with a virtue or magic weapon will on balance be handier as I am unlikely to face that many big troop blocks in the UK GT
lavatio est pro squires
Raf (User)

The Order of the Tactician in silver (Click to see more)
profile icon User Offline United States flag
greenburger wrote:
Thanks for your patience on the newbies - apologies. I will walk to the nearest ducking pond in a hair shirt as penitence

Will have to reconsider the valorous banner, the lance and shield then. It makes no sense not allowing the 50 Point banner to be used by BSB in any knights unit but I will take it on the chin

I do like a hero in the KOTR, but perhaps one with a virtue or magic weapon will on balance be handier as I am unlikely to face that many big troop blocks in the UK GT

The idea on the valorous banner is that only Grail or Questing knight units will have it. It would make no sense to say knights only, and allow the BSB to take it as peasants cannot have magic banners...
Not counting multi-player games...
Eighth Edition Record:
6W-7L-3D in Tournament Play
16W-4L in Singles Play
(Not playing much anymore...)
Go to top Post Reply